PCI Slot on Powerbook G4

Well, you can get a SATA controller and hook up some Serial ATA hard drives, if that's what you mean. But for connecting external hard drives, you might want to use your Firewire ports.

The other option would be getting a PCI SCSI controller card and connecting a bunch of SCSI drives in an external case.

There's also this odd PCI ATA controller, allowing you to use two internal ATA/133 devices (master and slave) and one 2.5" hard drive on the actual PCI board:

http://sonnettech.com/product/tempohd.html

Maybe I'm not understanding your question correctly -- PCI slots are universal slots that accept a wide variety of PCI cards ranging from video cards to hard drive controllers to USB/FireWire controllers to video capture cards to audio cards and more. What kind of external hard drive do you have, or planning to purchase?

My idea was to get an External Hard Drive and keep most my files (music, pictures) there, and keep all the programs (Photoshop, Freehand) on the Mac HD.
My hope is that my computer would run smoother (less 'colored wheel of death').

Will this work?
If so, are there any EHD's that are better than others?
If not, are there any other options?

Also, I may be confused as to what the PCI slot on this Powerbook is.
The picture of that Tempo HD looks compatible to PC.
The slot on the left side, with the button, in front of the audio output.
Thats the PCI slot right? I don't see how that Tempo would fit, unless it's different for a Mac.

Thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated.

Back