PDF browser integration problem - please help!

ropers

Registered
I don't know what I would possibly have done wrong, but for some reason I can no longer view PDF's inside a web browser (embedded view via plugin vs. starting the Acrobat reader app). That goes for any browser under Mac OS X. Instead of opening the Acrobat Reader 'embedded' as a plugin to the browser, it downloads the PDF and only when that's finished does it open the actual Acrobat Reader app to display the PDF.

Mac OS X ver 10.1.4
Acrobat Reader ver 5.0.5
tried with MSIE, Navigator, Mozilla, OmniWeb, Opera

'Plugin viewing' works perfectly under Mac OS 9.

Any help VERY appreciated.

Did you try re-installing Acrobat? Go to VersionTracker (www.versiontracker.com) and get the latest version, and update your browsers as necessary.

Secondly, do you ever get a message that pops up when viewing PDFs saying something like "Acrobat is not configured to view PDF files from withing your browser due to a configuration problem. Would you like to correct this error?"

Open Acrobat -> Preferences -> Options and check everything in "Web Browser Options". Then click "Reset All Warnings" to make sure it alerts you if it's improperly configured as you may have disabled the warning at some time.

You'll have to restart Acrobat, and likely your browsers as well for this to take effect.:p

Personally, I hate doing that; I prefer viewing them inside Acrobat, and downloading them to the desktop and not IE's cache--I rarely vew PDFs I don't want to keep for later reference.

I've had no luck viewing PDFs in any browser under OS X since Public Beta. I think it has something to do with Adobe's plugin.

I have no problem with downloading the PDFs and viewing them in Preview or Acrobat, but I do think Adobe or Apple should look into the problem to fix it once and for all.

Back