PDF file commenting

chemistry_geek

Registered
I'm a scientist and have my CV, research summaries, and project presentations in PDF format. I use primarily OpenOffice.org 2.2 for my CV, Microsoft Word for research summaries, and PowerPoint for presentations. After printing these documents to PDF format, I would like to add comments to certain portions of these documents with Adobe Reader 8.1.0., however, after opening my PDF documents in Adobe Reader, and pressing Command-D, for 'Properties...,' the Security under Document Properties indicates that Commenting is not allowed.

Is there anyway that I can change the security features of the PDF files created by Mac OS X, OpenOffice 2.2, and other programs to allow for commenting? I've already reviewed the documentation for Adobe Reader 8.1.0. and determined that this program will allow for commenting should the file's security allow it. Can I change the security without corrupting the PDF? It is important that the commented PDF files be viewable in any PDF reader.

Sincerely,
Chemistry_Geek

try turning off security in the pdf files. If a password is required, use your user password for your user account. Normally, pdfs created need to have the password feature elected for it to apply, so it's strange you're not able to add comments to your own files...

Yep, Acrobat.

So are you saying when you go to print a page, the 'Save for PDF' option isn't available? You may just have a problem with permissions for your pdf files. Can you 'get info' on one of the offending pdf files and let us know what the permissions are for the file? They should be Read/Write, Read/Write and for Other: None.

Attached is a screen shot from Adobe Reader Help and Document Properties for my CV in PDF format generated by OpenOffice 2.2. The document properties for the other PDF's are the same as my CV.

Adobe Reader should be able to add comments to PDF files according to the documentation. I think that just changing the security features would allow this.

chemistry_geek

Attachments

• PDF Commenting.jpg
    PDF Commenting.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 11
If you had Distiller you could create eps or ps file and then distill that file to a pdf. Then you could see if it's your document or Mac OS X's print to pdf feature that's causing the security issue.

I have a feeling it's your document causing the security lock.

I don't know whether this would help, Preview can do Annotations on pdf files. I've checked this on Acrobat Reader 6, but couldn't hide/make visible those annotations.

Attachments

• annotation2.jpg
    annotation2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 3
Yes, exactly, this is what I want! Thank you very much! It would be nice to have a 'red arrow', but perhaps Apple can add that in later. I guess it doesn't want to intrude too much into Adobe's feature set.

You're welcome. There is another kind of annotation/commenting, i've seen on some manuals and e-books. eg. any info i've put on those red circles pops when the mouse pointer is over, but both red circle and annotations don't print on paper.

Back