pdf files / Safari / Preview / Acrobat

PaulW

Registered
I used to be set so that Safari would open pdf files within the browser. If I tried to open a pdf file then Preview would be used.

I have loaded Adobe Acrobat Version 7 (not latest), in order to complete my tax return online as it was required. To update the 'online' document I had to download it, updated it and re-send it.

Now whenever I access a pdf file the system asks me which viewer I want to use, and neither Safari or Preview are given as one of the options. So I have to use Adobe.

What has happened? And how can I change it back?

I had this problem a long time ago when I mistakenly chose the System 9 version of Adobe (Acrobat Reader) when in a browser window to open a PDF. Forever after that became the default for the browser(s).

After some time I came across MisFox which solved the problem.

http://mac.clauss-net.de/misfox/

I see there's a new version which is now a Pref Pane, I had used an earlier version which was an App.

Let us know if it helps.

I should add that this is not the most common problem. If you're double clicking a pdf file in the finder and you want it to open in Preview the solution for that is to do a Get Info (File Menu) or Command I and set the "Open With" section of the panel to whatever you wish, most likely Preview in the case of PaulW.

MisFox is needed when you're opening a file within a browser window and you're not getting the correct helper app.

On my system the File Mapping for a .pdf file is AdobeResourceSynchronizer and PDF files linked on a web page do indeed open within Safari because the Adobe frameworks have been embedded by an Adobe Reader update.

This is what the MisFox sheet looks like for .pdf files

misfox.png

This is a little tricky because if you click the Choose button next to the Creator field you'll never find AdobeResourceSynchronizer on your hard drive (at least I can't).

I sorted this out after looking through the Apple discussions.

Apparantly when installed Adobe puts a file into the add-ins folder, if this file is removed then everything works hunky-dorey!

/Library/Internet Plug-ins/

Back