Pdf printing problem - hp2420

Lyra

Registered
I'm using a scattershot approach on this problem, as I don't know whether it's an HP, Adobe or Panther thing.

I have a fairly new HP2420d, printing via USB. In the couple of months I've had it, once I'd discovered that it sulked if connected via a USB hub, everything's been fine. Until yesterday, when for the first time I tried to print out a pdf file.

I got garbage. I've been to all the HP and Acrobat forums and tried all the solutions I can find, including distilling first. Setting to download fonts for each page results in the right words showing up, but in the wrong font and with the wrong leading, and spread across the page. The only thing that works is printing as image. Am I stuck with printing pdfs this way or is there anything else I can try? The test page I printed from the PC running XP was fine, btw.

Oh, I have a dual 1.25 GHz G4, still running 10.3.6.

Thanks.

It is almost impossible to have problems with properly created PDF files. This is why they are so popular. But, the keyword here is properly. My experience with PDFs that require being printed as image to print properly is that they were created by some God-forsaken PDF creator on Windows. The only thing that you can do is print the file as image and thank God that you use a Mac.

MisterMe said:
It is almost impossible to have problems with properly created PDF files.

Almost, but apparently not quite. The file was created by me, out of InDesign CS, in exactly the same way that I've always done it, without ever having problems printing to my previous printer (also an HP). I do indeed thank God I use a Mac, though!

Your problem, then, would seem to be the HP print driver or the printing engine in the printer. I presume that you are using the PostScript clone printing engine. Back when HP printers didn't suck, I swore by them. Now that HPs suck, I have switched to Xerox. Xerox printers produce fantastic output, use genuine PostScript, are built like anvils, are incredibly fast, and and are price-competive.

Back