PDF's

PaulHigg

Grounded by depression
Could someone help me with a PDF problem? When I want to open a PDF in Safari it automatically opens Acrobat Viewer. I thought it was supposed to open Preview(?). Anyway, to make it easy, look at page 13 in the manual and see Display PDF's. Something is wrong, what should I do?

Thanks

Paul

iMac G4 1GHz flat panel
512 MB RAM

find a pdf file. ctrl-click it and go to open with... at the bottom should be 'other...' click on it and find preview (it should be in the applications folder) check the 'always open with this' check box and hit ok

Now I get an empty Safari page with the URL ending in .pdf just sitting there blsnk and not a thing happens.

You probably have Acrobat Reader 7 installed.
If this is the case. Open it and take a look at the preferences. It has the "Use acrobat reader" to view PDF file's in Browser checked! It's pretty annoying, I agree. Once unchecked... everything should be ok.

Thanks for your help but I did exactly as described. Yes, I am using Acrobat 7 and I disabled it like you said then I had nothing come up if it was a PDF web site. So I reselected it and now it works. But it works as an Adobe Acrobat 7 reader, without actually opening Acrobat 7.

I though it was just supposed to load Preview which it will when I look at documents I have stored. But when I come to a PDF web-site it does not bring up preview.

I'm baffled.
Thanks
Paul

Check the downloads window were the PDFs showing up there? If so you may not have PDF set to open automatically. If and where I so that setting I do not remember...

Back