People & IRC

yoshi

Registered
Hello, many of you I know and many I don't. I am posting this message in refference to the fact that many of you are missing from the chat room. I do not know whether this is from lack of time or from lack of initiative but I would reccomend everyone here try it out. You do not even need an IRC client just click at the top of this browser window where is says "MacOSX.com Chat Room". I will say it is the best way to get help and support for anything on IRC.

Hopefully my IRC addicted friends will come here and back me up.

Sincerely

Yoshi

I couldn't agree more. This site is jammed to the lid with people of similar interests, and the IRC room is an excellent add on. Talking in real time to you folks is the best time waster I've found in years.

Come on in! I haven't been bored yet

Before joining the chatroom I was a nobody. It was 1982, I couldn't hold a job, I had no where to stay, and for no readily apparent reason I was diagnosed with various tropical diseases including schistosomiasis, malaria, and dengue fever!

But all that changed when I found #macintosh on server irc.press3.com...

Since then I've became a millionaire overnight using techniques I saw on television, bought condos in the tropics and a former cartel leader's winter estate in the Caucasus, and married a lovely 18 year old Russian "bliadz" (I think that means princess) named Nadia. Oh yeh, and I got some great help with OS X.

Thank you chatroom! WHOOHOO!!!

yes, it really is a great place to chat...

...A+++, great communication, i highly recommend this chat room to others!... doh!, sorry, i've been selling a lot of stuff on eBay lately. :)

but be warned, you will NOT find any WaReZ or p0rn, nor any 3733T haX0r doods. you'll just find some very nice canadians...er, i mean people, to chat with :)

so, come on over.

#macintosh on irc.press3.com

Originally posted by CloudNine
Before joining the chatroom I was a nobody. It was 1982, I couldn't hold a job, I had no where to stay, and for no readily apparent reason I was diagnosed with various tropical diseases including schistosomiasis, malaria, and dengue fever!

But all that changed when I found #macintosh on server irc.press3.com...

Since then I've became a millionaire overnight using techniques I saw on television, bought condos in the tropics and a former cartel leader's winter estate in the Caucasus, and married a lovely 18 year old Russian "bliadz" (I think that means princess) named Nadia. Oh yeh, and I got some great help with OS X.

Thank you chatroom! WHOOHOO!!!

That was absolutely hysterical. I haven't laughed that hard in a while...

Do you know a good IRC client for OS X. I used IRCLE a while, but I don´t like it. Is it there anything better??

I will admit that I haven't attended for a few weeks nowm but it is a very fun place to go. The people may not have very good social skills, but there are fun bots to talk to.;)

Mac OS X has brought some new irc apps to Macintosh. Many also like Snak (which was available on OS 9) but now there is also: JediKnight, Athena, BitchX (CLI client).

Very brief Twyg style rundown...

JediKnight - Pretty (Transparent windows, nicely done fonts, colors etc) not extraordinarily feature filled, in fact, there are barely any features. For those of you who want to do your /me commands, and even the ever present /whois command, you're out of luck with this software.

AthenaIRC - Not easy to make pretty, but extremely pretty once you futz around with the settings enough. Not terribly intuitive, but certainly feature rich

BitchX - For those of you who love your terminal apps I understand it's a down 'n dirty fight between BitchX and Xchat. Neither of these clients is recommended for the meek of heart. There is a lot of compiling and tweaking.

IRCle - Nice, but... Looks like an old accounting package I used to use on my Mac SE... But hey, if you're an op, this is the king of feature richness. So if you're a feature whore, this is your client.

Hope this clears up a few questions, and remember, I'm not a real Mac user, but if I were I'd still make these opinions up. ;)

Edit: if I missed a few clients it's because I haven't used them, not because I'm near-sighted...

just to add to tywg's rundown...

Fire - like JediKnight, it's pretty... very pretty. it's the "swiss army knife" of chat clients. it supports AIM, IRC, ICQ, MSN, Jabber & Yahoo chats, but doesn't excel at any of them.

Snak - not too pretty, but is fairly feature rich. the demo times out after 30 minutes, as many of our resident chatters well know. :)

How disappointing! :(
Here I am at work, bored sh*tless, enduring WinNT on a Dell. And here is this enticing message about the MacOSX IRC chatroom! Oh boy!
But I can't connect! Oh woe!
And of course I am not an administrator on this machine...
:rolleyes:

The IRC channel is really a great place. I am on there a lot (I've got the patch, I'm working myself off of the adiction :)). It really is a great place to ask people questions, and also a great place to just talk to os x users. It really is a great place.

Oh and about the Canadian comment. Yes you will see a lot of Canadians. Its strange but there are I think four of us on there who are regulars (jadey, scott, troll-man, and I). Just watch it if you come on tomorrow during the hockey game :).

genghiscohen: why can't you connect? does it give you an error. If so what is it?

Oh ok. You could set up a command line client like ircII or bitchx on your mac at home and telnet or SSH into it from work, but I'm not really sure how to do that...

Originally posted by googolplex

Its strange but there are I think four of us on there who are regulars (jadey, scott, troll-man, and I).

gosh.

/me is dumb.

i *just* realized that gplex and googoplex are one in the same. doh!

heh thats ok took me a while too.

IRC!!! ya baby ya!

Just want to add to the list:

ircII - command-line application which bitch-x is based off. compiles without trouble on osx. All you need it the developer tools and the source code. Its a bit different than.. say snak, but it is a solid irc program.

xchat - by far THE BEST irc client out there imo. Its graphical, has tons of features, lets you program buttons to do things (like kick scope - oops :) I'm kidding of course), it has tabs for multi room/multi server chatting. /msg's come up in new tabs. Tabs can become windows. Its very easy to use too. Get the binary (caus I can't get the source code to compile) at http://macosx.forked.net/
keey in mind you will need XFree86, and GTK installed/working with a window manager.

Herve: We need ya in there!

Originally posted by googolplex
Oh ok. You could set up a command line client like ircII or bitchx on your mac at home and telnet or SSH into it from work, but I'm not really sure how to do that...

Dude thats easy as eating pie! I did it from school today :) I setup webmin to be port 80 at s1.yoshi.zzux.com (VS) I logged into it, I then ssH'd into my Server, then I used ircii to get to press3.com..

Maybe I should make a howto on this .. :grin:

Oh and Gplex, I personally am offended, I am not a regular.. Hmph, me and kilo 0w6 j00!
~Yoshi

Back