Performance on old Powerbooks?

iscaro

Italian Cool Mac User :-)
I'm planning to get a PowerBook...
I'd like to wait for the new one to come, but has somebody tested Panther on an old PowerBook like the G4 400Mhz for example?
Is it good or it is much better to get a new one... and forget about it?

Thanks... ;)

Well, a 400 Mhz G4 is no speed demon when it comes to OS X, but if my 400 Mhz G3 iMac can tackle it, then you shouldn't have much of a problem.

If you really need power, then you might want to look into upgrading. But if you don't need raw power, and this is working out just fine, then you should enjoy Panther on your Powerbook.

Well.... OS 10.2 seems speedy enough on my PowerBook G4 500... granted, it can't take advantage of Quartz extreme, so the fancy graphics don't get to look that fancy, but the under-the-hood processes run just fine.... don't get a spinning beach ball... and I believe I've read around here that 10.3 is actually speedier than 10.2 so... there you go.

Thanks for your answers... my only fear is exactly what I cannot change, the Ati with just 8MB for video...
So I don't get Quarz Extreme that should be even beter in 10.3, but maybe 10.3 is going to help us all being much better for older system with bad video, but I don't know... maybe it's going to be better only for a G3...

The G4 400 should be enough for me... I'll take a look at it to see the video performance... ;)

I was used to have an iMac 500 one year ago... with 10.1 and it was not bad... then I've got 10.2 and it was very nice!
But then it died for rain over it... :( and I've got an eMac to have something... and now I have this little beast that is my dual G4... and I've got used to it! :rolleyes:

We'll see... but it should be fine to have one... hope to get more information ;)

You'd want to wait until the keynote 16. september though, as the probability rate of new laptops being released is very high. The iBook and the 15" PowerBook haven't had a design change in two years. Prices for used computers will probably fall significantly, too.

My Pismo has only got a 8Mb ATI Rage card and it definitely slows window drawing and font-smoothing down. However, the old beach-ball rarely comes up anymore, so it's not too bad. Pretty crappy at games-playing, though!

Hope it helps; I say wait for the new one THEN decide if you want the old one (Remember the old one can still use OS 9! Got Norton/DiskWarrior? You'll need to upgrade if you get a new one)

Well, today I've decided that I'll probably wait to see the new one and look if the new 12" is much better than now...

I don't need OS 9 anymore...

My PowerMac is without... even classic is not there...

Thanks ;)

Althought....the new iBook will absolutely DESTROY the G4 (400) Powerbook in any test you can throw at it, Altivitec and otherwise....why not get an iBook?

I've heard that the iBook 900's absolutely kill the 1st gen tiBooks. 4x the VRAM (32 vs. 8MB), same bus speed, nice fast HD, and the 900 g3 trounces the altivitec enhanced 400mhz G4.

That doesn't mean the old Powerbook is a bad computer. If you need more power than what you have already, get a new computer; if not, then stick with what you've got and you'll be fine.

I agree..but it makes no sense to buy something that's already outdated...I'd imagine a G4 400 tiBook is around 1k USD right now...same as a new iBook with a warranty.

Back