Perhaps y'all will know in this form...

mailseth

Registered
hey there. I am a very newbie at this. I downloaded and tried to install mod_watch-3.0.1 for apache (http://www.snert.com/Software/mod_watch/ and I hit this snag:

[localhost:~/Desktop/mod_watch-3.0.1] root# make install-dynamic
$(apxs -q CC) $(apxs -q CFLAGS) -DSHARED_MEMORY_API=SYSTEMV_API -DSERIALIZATION_API=SYSTEMV_API -I$(apxs -q INCLUDEDIR) -c Mutex.c
Mutex.c:64: header file 'sys/sem.h' not found
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode
make: *** [Mutex.o] Error 1

what is "sys/sem.h" and where do I get it?

It's a C header file. If it were on your system, it would be at /usr/include/sys/sem.h.

You might guess, though it's a long shot, that sys/semaphore.h is actually the same file, just not abbreviated. If so, you could try making an alias to it:

ln -s /usr/include/sys/semaphore.h /usr/include/sys/sem.h

Good luck

Thx. But after thinking about it, I just wrote my own script in php to parse the log files of apache. Man, PHP is some good stuff, I can do anything with it :)

Thx much tho. Everyone on the form is so damn cool about helping me out with unix probs :)

Originally posted by scruffy
It's a C header file. If it were on your system, it would be at /usr/include/sys/sem.h.

You might guess, though it's a long shot, that sys/semaphore.h is actually the same file, just not abbreviated. If so, you could try making an alias to it:

ln -s /usr/include/sys/semaphore.h /usr/include/sys/sem.h

Good luck

Hi,

I have this same problem, and tried the sym link suggestion. Unfortunately, I hit another missing include file :

c++ -O2 -DNDEBUG -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -pedantic -ffor-scope -c bon_io.cpp
In file included from bon_io.cpp:21:
forkit.h:5: sys/poll.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [bon_io.o] Error 1

I don't see anything resembling poll.h in /usr/include/sys.

Any ideas?

I can't help but feel I need to install something extra....

Max.

You are compiling some heavily SysVish sources. sem.h is for SysV (counting) semaphores (part of SysV IPC; not implemented fully in OS X)
poll(2) is sort of equivalent of BSD select(2) (select came first). Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Back