perl on os X

wck

Registered
so, has anyone tried installing/writing/running any perl on osX yet? i haven't had a chance to see if apple installed any kind of perl, or if i can install it myself yet, but i'm interested to hear if anyone has tried yet.

wendy

Yep, perl is part of OS X, thank god. If you'd like to know where your perl distribution resides, type

$ which perl

I'll save you time. It's installed in /usr/bin/perl, the standard location for perl.

I've written and run perl scripts and it works fine, of course. For now, the only problem that I can see, is the lack of xemacs. Although xemacs has been carbonized (see osxfaq.com), I haven't been able to get any of the debugging and formatting tools to work. writing complex scripts in something like vi just doesn't cut it.

% perl -v

This is perl, v5.6.0 built for darwin

Copyright 1987-2000, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

Also, gnu emacs (but not xemacs) is also already installed on the OS X system by default.

% which emacs
/usr/bin/emacs

Just use BBEdit !!

The only problem with the Perl under OS X is the inability to 'make' and install new modules (OK, it's not really a problem with Perl, but the lack of cc and make). I don't really fancy suffering a 70Mb download over my modem, just for the sake of 'cc' and 'make'....

I got vim to compile, let me know if you would like
the binary. I didn't get gvim done, but w/o X that
is a little more of a porting job than I have time
for :)

-chris

Originally posted by cft
I got vim to compile, let me know if you would like
the binary. I didn't get gvim done, but w/o X that
is a little more of a porting job than I have time
for :)

-chris /QUOTE]

please send me the binary