Perl stops running scripts on OS X Server after 10.1.3 upgrade?

resglowing

Registered
Hi All,

I'm running Mac OS X Server on an G4 perl v5.6.0 . The last time I remember (a day or so ago) perl was working fine when running scripts. Today I upgraded the server to 10.1.3 and some really strange things started happening with perl.

Perl no longer executes scripts. e.g.
>perl hello_wold.pl
gives me nothing. It just goes to the next command line.
I know perl is still working in some capacity because I can still get help, and I can execute command line commands e.g.
>perl -e 'print "hello world!\n";'

I'm not completely sure this is due to the upgrade though. It might also be due to installing modules through CPAN. Maybe I configured CPAN wrong? I don't know. But I'm having a hard time figuring this out.

Has anyone any experience with this sort of behavior?

Thanks,

resglowing

could it be related to the "Shebang Line" .. ?

the perl paths or args for the shebang line could require something slightly different .. <-- just a gander not a suggestion....

After seeing your post... I'm playing around my self to see if I experience a similar issue...

Will post back shortly ;-)

Just checked my stuff out... everything works as before... so Don't know .... but just to see .. pico a new file and place this in it and try it .....

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

open (xFile, ">result.file") || Error();
print "testing....\nThis Stuff\n";
print xFile "testing...\nThis Stuff\n";
close(xFile);

if you still did not get a return in the terminal .. cat the result.file it created to see if it did that .....

After a long time banging away at things, I've found that all my my line feeds in perl scripts I wrote (not the ones that are installed - I hope) we're somehow converted into Macintosh line feeds (^M)?

The fix was to get rid of all the ^M characters. Perl now correctly interprets the scripts.

Does anyone think this could be a result of upgrading to 10.1.3?

resglowing

Back