Permission Denied after installing new harddrive.

Aurik

Registered
I just installed a new hard drive on my iMac running OS X.2.6.

Before I put in the new drive, I backed up all my important data onto a networked drive, for recovery onto the new hard drive once it was installed.

Now I've got my data back, and I have a problem:

When I try to run the MUD that I have setup using the default command:
./autorun &
or when I try to reconfigure it with the command:
./configure
I receive a permission denied error message.

I think this is possibly because I changed the default username on the computer. Before on the old hard drive, I used the username: aurikk
Now, on the new drive I'm using: aurik

Is there a way I can change the permissions on these files so I can run them again?

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Do you know what the uid of the old user was? It could be as simple as changing the owner of the files. If the old user name was uid 502 (which is usually the second user created on the system) and the new user is uid 501 (first), you'll run into permission problems. You basically don't own those, even if you don't have a user with uid 502 anymore.

You could try repairing permissions, that might fix it. If it doesn't, you might be stuck manually changing everything over. Hope not, that could be a big pain!

I'm not sure what the uid was. How can I found out what my curren uid is?

i've already run the repair disk permissions, and it didn't even touch the files that are having the problems.

Thanks for the info tho, any more suggestions would be welcome.

Ok, I did some searching, and I came across some usefull stuff. Hurray! As I'm a Nix Dummy. :D

using the ls -l command, I see that I dont' have executeable priveleges for these files anymore.

Now, I can fix this by using chmod o=rwx,g=rwx,u=rwx filename

Howerver, I don't feel like typing this over and over for tons of files.

Any ideas on how to make this kind of change for all the files in a given folder (including the subfiles, etc)?

Heh, that's why I said it can be a pain. You could try making a shell script that will iterate over your entire home directory, I suppose.

BTW, you can shorten that to chmod ugo+rwx filename.

Also, not all the files need the executable bit set. Really, only files that are executable (you can run them) and folders need that set.

That is probably working for you because you're not the actual owner of the files. Setting the other bit is giving you permission to access them, though. Soo....

Try doing this one in the terminal (Big Note: Make Sure You Are In Your Home Folder!)

sudo chown -R aurik:staff .

Put in your admin password and sit back while it runs. That command will recursively go through all the folders in your home folder, changing the owner to you. And like my note says, make sure you're in your home folder. If you do that from some other folder, the command will still work, and you'll possibly screw your system up.

Back