Permission issues -

grindstone

Registered
I am running 10.4.8 Server for an all Mac group of 14 machines - I had no issues with permissions until now - several of the computers are having read only issues - of course I have run permissions - Disk Warrior 4 - check the settings - everything checks out - any ideas?

Thank you for your help -

Marc

What type of issues? With Home directories? With local machines? I use BatchMod to fix up home diredtory and other permissions issues on my servers.

I don't recommend using disk warrior on your server.

That being said, I have found 'permissions' to be a major issue on mac servers. Usually we have to set up a regular permissions sweep to set all permissions to Read Write on the server, every five minutes or so. I assume 'BatchMod' does this.

In addition, get TinkerTool from versiontracker.com and put it on all your user machines. It allows you to quickly and easily update each machines permissions settings so when a file is saved by one machine it can be easily opened/edited by another.

Out of curiosity - what exactly are these permission errors? Trying to access files on the server and you get read-only access, when you require more??

When I hear about fixes such as setting permissions to Read Write every 5 minutes it sends chills up my spine. With proper directory services setup and/or authentication realms, you should never have these type of problems.

You do on mac servers, unfortunately. The sweep doesn't allow Others Read and Write Access only admins and users specifically allowed.

The errors, especially if this is a Creative Department, usually occur when one person creates and/or edits a files and the permissions get changed to that person's id. Another user tries to edit/change that same file and can't because the file's now locked out and only editable/openable by the previous person. It's a real big hassle when you need to be able to collaborate on projects and share information.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031211073631814
Essentially, edit ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist and add NSUmask with a value of 7.

Code:
<key>NSUmask</key>
<integer>7</integer>

Alternateively, you can edit the global file at /System/Library/Frameworks/PreferencePanes.framework/Versions/A/Resources/global.defaults

Essentially you want to set the permissions to 007 so that files that are created have rw-rw---- and directories have rwxrwx---

Then put all the users into the same group. They'll all be able to read and write it, it'll be transparent, and no messy workarounds.

Back