Permissions error with Classic

quangdog

Registered
I get this error whenever I try to start classic.... I have searched the forums and found similar problems, but nothing exactly the same as this one. I checked the permissions on my System Folder folder (The one for OS 9) and they are as they should be (root:wheel, 755).

Any suggestions?

-Quangdog

Attachments

• errmsg.jpg
    errmsg.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 42
This might solve the problem:

Find the partition or hard drive that your Classic system folder resides on. Then get info on it, and choose "Privileges" from the popup menu in the Inspector window.

If the selected hard drive is not your OS X partition (I have OS 9 installed on a separate partition), then there should be a little checkbox "Ignore privileges on this volume". Make sure this is unchecked, and then try starting Classic again.

Unfortunately, I only have 1 partition on my humble little 6 GB Hard drive...so both classic and OS X are on the same partition.

-quangdog

Here's a perl script that was advertised on MacFixIt.com a week or so ago, that resets all default installed files to their original permissions. Obviously, this script can become VERY handy, and I suppose that it could be very useful in your situation. This perl script actually examines log files in the installers and sets permissions to what they should be.

I did not create this script, but I'm providing it as a download from my iDisk. Here's the URL:

http://homepage.mac.com/simx/.cv/simx/Public/chkstuff115.sit-binhex.hqx

This script has been updated for OS X 10.1.3, but when a new version of Mac OS X comes out, I would advise you to wait to run it until chkstuff gets updated for that version of the operating system.

Once you download it, open the folder "chkstuff115". Then open the Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal). Now, once the Terminal finishes opening, type "sudo " with the trailing space. Now drag the file "chkUGM" from the Finder window to the Terminal window. Then press return. The Terminal should ask for your password. This is a completely safe script, and it actually does not modify anything at this point. It will just create a command file that shows discrepancies in permissions. So type in your password and press return (note nothing will show up when you type your password for security reasons). It will start doing its stuff.

Once it's done (you'll see the prompt again, which in my case is: [a0c3:~] simsimbean%), it will have created a temporary file that is the command file to change permissions back to the default. First, you may want to examine the discrepancies. To do this, type the command more /tmp/fixUGM.sh in the terminal. Press return, and you can examine the commands that this file will execute -- incidentally, the path to each file that has incorrect permissions is listed, so you can see exactly which files are modified. You can advance the displaying either by pressing space (which will advance the file by one page) or by pressing return (which will advance the file by one line). It should tell you how far through the file you are by the bottom line of the terminal window, which shows you the percentage of the file you have already viewed.

There will also be a file called "missing_files.txt" which tells you which files you are missing from the default installation of Mac OS X. You can also use the command more /tmp/missing_files.txt to see what files you are missing. This might not be a problem, but it's just some nice info.

If you are satisfied with the files it has listed, you can go ahead and run this script. Simply type the command cd /tmp; sudo ./fixUGM.sh, all on one line, and press return. It will again ask you for your password. Once you give the terminal your password and press return, it will start modifying the files to their original permissions. It will notify you when it's done.

You can then try starting up Classic again (although I would recommend restarting or logging out/logging in just to be safe).

I hope this helps. I actually did it, and I may have found out why LimeWire isn't installing for me, in addition to reverting the permissions of Internet Explorer to what they should have been. Does anyone have the folder "JavaCleanup" in the directory /System/Library/StartupItems? If so, this might be why LimeWire isn't installing for me.

testuser: Sometimes when you get permissions errors like this, it's due to some incorrect permissions in some system file, and that's why I offered this perl script. It could, of course, be as simple as what you were suggesting, but I really do NOT recommend doing a recursive permissions command (on the Classic system folder it might be OK, but DEFINITELY not on your OS X System or Library folders).

Also, the reason I mentioned the JavaCleanup folder is because the script I used said it was missing. So I guess it's one of those temporary things that gets executed once upon restart after installation, and then gets deleted.

Plus, I recently did a reinstallation of my system software, and LimeWire still won't install. I'm stumped!

Ok, I tried the permissions fixit script so graciously provided above, and it found all kinds of things that had been altered from the way they were when OS X was installed. Many of the missing files were the various foreign languages that I did not have OS X install, and most of the permissions problems were with Acrobat Reader and Internet Explorer. I went ahead and ran the script to reset all the permissions to what they should be.

Classic still won't boot, and still gives me the same error as above.

Here is the history of how I came to this point:

My most previous installation of OS X on this machine ran just great until the day I installed fink. It screwed up my mysql, and in my frantic attempts to fix it, I broke my OS X installation beyond my ability to repair (chmod -r 755 /etc/ is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA :eek: ) so I backed up my really important data via os 9, formatted the drive, and re-installed.

This was right about when the 10.1.3 update was released, which was supposed to support my external burner (it doesn't...) and since burning was the only reason that I still even had os 9 installed on the machine, I opted to not install 9 until after I had a chance to play with 10.1.3... with me so far?

Several weeks later, I just had to burn something, and could not get OS X to even acknowledge that I had a burner (it's a Que USB external 4x4x12, I think...) so I had to install 9. I booted off of my 9.1 cd (as that was the latest version that I had lying around on a bootable cd) and installed it. Then came toast, then I did my burning, and thought that would be the end of it. I rebooted in to OS X, and forgot all about it. Then yesterday, I found a program that I would really love to be able to use (VNC, for remotely administering any platform machine on an intranet... very slick) but they only have a classic version (I tried the java one, but it required more work to make go than I was willing to put in.. had to change it from being an applet to a standalone app... didn't want to mess with it...) So I think "Hey, good thing I installed 9 last week to burn that Debian installer CD... now I can try this cool thing..." so I try to fire it up.. the classic boot screen comes up, and quickly informs me that I am running 9.1, and to please update it to 9.2... so off to Apple's website I ran, grabbed the 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updaters (have to apply them sequentially), rebooted into 9, ran the updates, then rebooted into OS X. Tried to open classic from the control panel, and got the message you all got to see.

Make sense?

I have tried to open it via the control panel, and by trying to open a classic only app.. same result.

I am an administrator user. Have not tried logging in as root to see what it will do, because I am afraid of the Very Bad Things that would have potential to produce...

Thanks for the ideas... anyone have anymore?

-quangdog

I checked, and yes, I have all those files.

I also changed the permissions on my System Folder folder as suggested above.

It still gives me the same error...

any other ideas?

-quangdog

i have two refubed G4's that aare giving me the exact same error message. any other tips?

I had the same problem with the same error messages today and starting up in OS9 twice did the trick. Much gooder now!

Back