Permissions & File Sharing

ericknit

Registered
Hi everyone. New to MAC. Long time Windows & Unix user.

Before you post a bunch of book titles for me, let me assure you, I just ordered a bunch :).

In the mean time, I am trying to figure out how to share files between different users on my system. For example, I want to let another user access my "Documents Folder" and all data within it.

I could not find anything in the GUI, so I figured I would go to the command line and add users to groups and give the group access. I ran into a wall there when the "Unix" files I was looking for (/etc/group & /etc/passwd) did not contain my users/groups.

Can someone point me to the right place to configure this via GUI or CL (or both)?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

TinkerTool System handles this very nicely.

Edit: I assume you’ve tried selecting your documents folder and done a “Get Info” (Command I) and found that it does not get you what you need. That’s your basic method for setting permissions.

On a Mac, you can share as many files/folders as you wish by creating an alias (Command-L), and then moving the alias to the Shared Folder. The Shared folder is found within the Users folder on your boot hard-drive.

Welcome to the Mac World, and Have Fun!

TinkerTool System handles this very nicely.

Edit: I assume you’ve tried selecting your documents folder and done a “Get Info” (Command I) and found that it does not get you what you need. That’s your basic method for setting permissions.

Thanks, This helps. Now, how do I manage groups so that I can add a user to my group and give the group read/write?

If you are on mac os x server this is very easy. If you are running a pc server you need to create groups there.

Back