[ permissions for external drives ]

3ppin

Registered
Hi,

I have just purchased an external drive HDD and vosonic device as well ...
both formated as FAT32 ... USB ...

Everytime I plug them in (any of the portbale HDDs) It mounts I can read the data but I can't edit or copy data on to the drive says I do not have a permission. How can I overcome this?

I used the drives on various PCs and they worked lika dream .. but on a G5 I can't get the drive to have editing permissions.

Please HELP....any ideas how I can change this?

Are you sure they're formatted as FAT32 and not as NTFS? NTFS drives will behave in this way.

yeah pretty sure as this device can't really format NTFS as far as I know ..
it had few options under FAT , FAT32 etc ...

hm so no ideas ?

Fat32 format does not use permissions. Although you should be able to read/write to the drive through Mac OSX. Some times if your file names are too long or the files are two big, the OS will complain.

It's probably NTFS. The devices, as long as they're harddrives, can always be formatted NTFS. And I've noticed that some newer harddrives actually _come_ formatted in NTFS, which is a pity. Format it as FAT32 and all will be well.

I have deleted the partition ,reformated the drive again , made the partition active and bang it worked this time without a problem ... not sure what happened the first time... thanks for all your help

Back