persistent disk image

Pothedd

Registered
i don't know if this is the right forum, but it has to do with bootcamp.
i downloaded and installed bootcamp, didn't like it, and deleted it.
there is no vestige of bootcamp on the computer
except for the bootcamp .dmg file automatically mounts on the desktop when the computer starts. how do i make it stop? it's annoying.

I dont know why you deleted it. It hardly takes up any space, And you said that you downloaded it? Boot Camp comes with every leopard installation, Unless your running a PowerPC Processor of course, and if thats the case, it won't let you install it anyway. Go to the finder in the dock, And in the search tab, just write, boot camp (i think it has a space in it) Either way, try to delete that. or just reinstall it and put it back where it was, im not using windows on my computer right now, and boot camp never gets in my way.

Go to system preferences/accounts and click on your user account. Then select login items and see if it is listed there. If it is you will need to authenticate on the padlock icon in the bottom left corner. Then you can select bootcamp disk image mounter and click the minus sign to take it out of your list of login items.

yea, i've tried all that.
i have vmware so bootcamp was useless, couldn't get it to work right anyway.
but yea, there's nothing in login items, only itunes and ichat, which is why i'm confused. i initially searched in the finder for bootcamp and deleted it all, and ejected the dmg.
but every time the computer starts up there it is on the desktop. taunting me...
like i said
it's simply annoying as hell.

Boot Camp's only purpose is to create a bootable partition that you can use to install Windows. It prepares your Mac for a Windows install. If you didn't install Windows on that partition, then that would explain why you can't get it to work, as it has no software, and no Windows on that partition.
Do you mean that you still see your windows partition on your desktop? Once the partition is there, it remains until you remove that partition.
That partition will remain, as it is not affected by Boot Camp utility after it is created. Deleting the Boot Camp utility does not remove that partition.

In fact, you need Boot Camp to remove that windows partition.

no, that's just it, i didn't have a windows install disk so i erased bootcamp. the install file i downloaded from the internet, a .dmg, mounts on the desktop when we start the computer up. it's annoying to have to eject it every time.

Sorry if I have to ask, but what exactly is that .dmg that mounts?
Open that disk, and tell what's actually inside...

Which are you running? OS X 10.4.x, or 10.5.x ?

Check applications/utilities/disk utility. How many volumes are showing in the left hand pane and what are they called?

hmm... weird... i opened the dmg. there's nothing in it.
in disk utility underneath where it says 186.3GB Fujitsu blah blah blah it has both Macintosh HD and BOOTCAMP mounted, tabbed over like they're a subcategory of the Fujitsu.
and the dvd player, but yea, that's supposed to be there, lol.

Ah, OK!
That's not a disk image that mounts - that's the partition that you created with the Boot Camp utility. If you didn't install Windows on that partition, then it would be empty.
So, that's not Boot Camp that you see, but the results of what Boot Camp does - which is create a bootable partition that you can use for Windows.
How do you remove that partition? You have to run the Boot Camp utility again, which you decided to delete. You can extract that Boot Camp utility from your Leopard installer DVD by using Pacifist. - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12743
Why do you need the Boot Camp software again, you may ask?
Run that Boot Camp software, and it will offer to remove the partition that it created.
Pretty slick, eh? It's the easiest way to remove that partition.

Well actually, You can open Disk Utility, The utilitys folder can be found in Applications, and the shortcut is Apple Shift U, Once in disk utility, Select your hard drive, and then, more to the middle of your screen, it will say First Aid, Erase, And Partition, Select parition, and then its going to say, Macintosh HD on the top left hand side, and below that it will say Boot Camp, Or Windows and sometimes NO NAME. I guess it just depends if you name it or not. Select The Boot camp partition, and then it the - on the bottom of the window, and that will remove it instead of having to open boot camp again.

Back