Personal Accounting Software.

fpayne

Registered
I know this question has been asked before but the answers did not answer my query.

I am in the process of changing from Windows to Mac (9 months so far). The one thing I cannot find is a decent home accounts program. The principal currency has to be either GBP or the euro with multi currency facilities and be able to transfer between accounts in different currencies. MS Money was perfect for my needs and I have been using it for more than ten years. I don't want to have to keep a windows PC just for accounts. Quicken for Mac does not support multiple currency current accounts. Any suggestions please.

I have tried iCash and it does not appear to be suitable.

Thanks

I downloaded it and had a quick look and I will have to say no. It looks almost identical to iCash except with this I could not even get it to accept my qif files. I could not set up any accounts ...... and worse, there is no help to tell you what you are supposed to do, or in my case probably what not to do. Then the program locked every time.
A nice thought anyway and much appreciated. Thanks

Funnily enough, I downloaded ibank a while ago and never really looked at. I now have and it will do nearly everything I want, It is not as business orientated as Quicken but it beats it hands down on usabilty outside of the US or Canada. In fact, from what I have found so far, it is the only option if you need accounts in different currencies. It supports all the usual features of transferring between accounts, split transactions and pretty graphs and reports. All in all, it is not a bad choice ......... that is if you have one. It is also cheaper than quicken or MS Money. Give it a look.

The demo version is limited to 50 transactions in any one account, but even if you exceed this you still have 15 minutes at a time to play with it. Other than that, there appear to be no other restrictions. On a first (well second) look, it appears to be missing an archive faciity to remove the previous years transactions.

If you only want recent transactions it won't cost you a cent.
You will find it at:

http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/index.html

Cancel my previous post,
On further testing of this product there is no support for loan accounts and the ability to split repayments between principal and interest. This in effect means that when you transfer $100 to a loan account, it takes $100 of the balance. Not helpful when the bank takes half of it and you only pay off the other half.
Still looking ........ but it looks like the windows pc will not be going anywhere soon.

I am just about to try Personal Accountz (www.accountz.com) so I can stop using my sons PC for Microsoft Money. Talking to some users it might do what I want.
Shame there is no demo but it is only £34 plus VAT in the UK, less than many games around.
I will post to say how I get on with it.

Quicken for Mac does not support multiple currency current accounts. Any suggestions please.

I have tried iCash and it does not appear to be suitable.

Thanks

I have not downloaded Moneydance yet, but their website has a screenshot of a currency converter built in which suggests possible multiple currency support. The software comes well recommended from the reviews I've seen. Not quite as fully developed as Quicken perhaps, but then Quicken for the Mac "ain't all that" either.

http://www.moneydance.com/mac

-John

Thanks for the recent post. I am still using iBank and still cursing it. I will try moneydance and see what it is like.

Back