Phillips copies iPod Interface

It is really unfortunate that other competitive brands/companies would only stoop that low to copy something someone already has.

Although I do have to admit that the Phillips one added icons to go with the corresponding menu which isn't bad.

I'm not really an iPod fan but I would pick the iPod any day compared to any other mp3 players.

Doesn't look really good to me...

Well, I have an iPod... it is 1 year old and it is still really good!!!

It is a portable music device really good and also a fast portable drive for data...

And it works really good... that one is just a copy... not really good looking anyway... but maybe for PC users...
PCs look bad... so it shold be ok for them...

What you fail to realize is that the iPod's operating system was not developed by Apple. I guess Philips has licensed the same OS, that's all. Different skin.

However, it's taken a long time since the iPod came out for the interface to be 'copied', I think. Good things _should_ be copied, I believe, and it's now time for Apple to introduce us to the next big thing.

Just to throw some rumors around; look at this!

April 01, 2003
Apple to Announce 970 Powered iPod
Our most reliable source inside the Wang Dang OEM/ODM manufacturing partner to Apple, that now produces the paint used to letter the front of the popular MP3 player has confirmed that his company is also supplying the paint for a new version of the product using IBM's 970 microprocessor. http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000054.php

I really do hope it's true :b

sorry for being a little off topic also ;)

I sure hope that a 970 powered pod doesn't come about. it's way too much processor for such a device. Power drain is crazy compared to the current pod processor.
I'm sure it's an april fools joke.

it's a beautiful mp3 player. i, for one, can attest to apple's poor build quality and poor customer service.
i'm currently in the market for an alternative. this phillips is looking very nice.

As an official breaker of Macs, I woulld think that you are legally bound to get the few shoddy remnants hastily put together 12 minutes before hitting the pub on a Friday, then trouble-spotted the next work day with a massive hangover in the morning.
I don't see how the Phillips could be seen as copying the iPod interface. It's not theft to have playlists and selection by artists as purely inventions solely for the use of Apple just like it would be if the Next Gen of iPods, or some other manufacturer, incorporated icons to the text options.

I think the iPods are outstanding devices, but I would like to see some new features on them, especially after using a color screen on my pda and cellphone. It's been addressed in other threads so I won't babble on except to sneak in a real quick mention (voice recording, such as the Phillips, a color screen, an iPhoto lite photo displayer and an FM radio). ::evil::

Originally posted by boi
it's a beautiful mp3 player. i, for one, can attest to apple's poor build quality and poor customer service.
i'm currently in the market for an alternative. this phillips is looking very nice.
I have always found Apple's fit and finish, not to mention their customer service, to be far above par.

Originally posted by senne
lookie here: http://www.audio.philips.com/betatest_HDD100.asp

Isn't that the columnview of the iPod!? :eek: :confused:

And are those dropshadows?
And is that a polished metal window with rounded corners?

Well, I don't know if Apple thought of those things first, but they sure know how to introduce stuff and make it their own.

I don't see why it's such a bad thing to base an interface on an existing interface; it happens most of the time, is legal most of the times and contributes to development most of the time...

Back