phone recording app for os x?

kafene

Registered
There are a lot of telephone recording software for the PC's, but I was wondering if there are any for OS X? Audiocorder has one, but only works in OS9.

kafene.

I presume you mean recording a telephone conversation with the modem?

I've not heard about that specifically, but you can head down to your local electronics store and get a suction-cup microphone that you attach to pretty much anything (telephone handset, door, etc) and just use any old recording app (like Amadeus II or Sound Recorder).

PS At least here in Canada it's illegal to record someone on the phone without their consent...

Originally posted by michaelsanford
I presume you mean recording a telephone conversation with the modem?

I've not heard about that specifically, but you can head down to your local electronics store and get a suction-cup microphone that you attach to pretty much anything (telephone handset, door, etc) and just use any old recording app (like Amadeus II or Sound Recorder).

PS At least here in Canada it's illegal to record someone on the phone without their consent...

If I could use a normal mic, that would be great. As far as I know, I thought you needed a mic w/ an amp built into it. I do have those suction things you're talking about, but I couldn't use it on my mac because it's not compatible?

BTW, it's also illegal to record conversations here to without consent or a beeping tone that goes off every 15 sec. ( I've actually had a lady use that tone thing on me , it was pretty funny). I wasn't going to record any conversation anyways.. I don't talk about anything interesting :rolleyes: . I wanted to use it to record/log conversations when I call 800#'s for support.

kafene.

Cool.

Ok so the suction cup thing will work perfectly IF the following two things are true:
1. It's placed correctly, very near the speaker on the handset; and
2. Your phone is not so hard the sound doesn't make it to the cup.

You don't need an amplifier, any normal little condensor/piezo or electret mic will do, assuming it's not like an XLR stage mic (if you don't know what that is you're in the clear ;) ).

All you'd need is something like the Griffin iMic, if you don't have a line-in on your iMac.

Another alternative: you could get one of those boxes at Radio Hack that lets you play hold music, and modify it to record incoming calls. Now that I think about it, I think actually they sell a box to record calls that plugs thgouth the phone line and has a mini-phono line out...

On my old Apple IIGS from 1986, there was once a company called Styleware that made a set of ofice-like utilities. One of the utiilities was a phone book/address book that included a little hardware device, a simple line out wire that terminated to a box with phone line in and phone line out. The software would generated the ring tones to call someone for you so you wouldn't have to manually dial the number. Istill have TWO of these devices. I'm pretty sure that making such a device is pretty easy. Of course plugging it in and recording sound is not only illegal, it's going to draw power from the phone line, in which case the audible signal will be diminshed and someone may know that "something is up". I've thought about recording a few conversations too, but like I said, it's very illegal unless you mention it to the other party BEFORE recording.

Back