photoshop 6 to 7/OS 9.2 toX

grunter

Registered
I would like to bring photoshop over from my switchable G4 9.2 to X 10.2.1
Do I need to download the ph.7 upgrade? Will it recognize the ph.6 on the other operating system?
Or - do i have to spring for a full version of ph.7 ?

PhotoShop 6 will only run in the Classic environment under OS X -- it's not a "native" application.

There isn't a downloadable updater that will update version 6 to version 7 -- you have to purchase an upgrade through Adobe.

grunter said:
I would like to bring photoshop over from my switchable G4 9.2 to X 10.2.1
Do I need to download the ph.7 upgrade? Will it recognize the ph.6 on the other operating system?
Or - do i have to spring for a full version of ph.7 ?

If you are talking about upgrading Photoshop on the same system, then yes, the Photoshop 7 Upgrade will recognize that Photoshop 6 is installed even though 6 is a Classic application.

If you are talking about moving from another system (hardware), then having 6 installed on that new system would be helpful, but as I recall, the Photoshop 7 upgrade doesn't absolutely need it. When it doesn't find an earlier version of Photoshop it will ask for an earlier version's license number... and then the upgrade's license number (as Adobe changed the license number scheme in 7).

On my PowerBook I installed 6 via Classic, installed the 7 upgrade... then deleted 6 and Mac OS 9 (after making a backup) from my system.

It was pretty easy.

Back