Photoshop CS and Tiger

jbaazr

Registered
I installed Tiger using archive and install and everything seemed to go smoothly.
I had 10.3.9 installed before I installed Tiger. I own a PB 15inch 1.67ghz 1gb Ram.

Problem:

Double clicking a file launches Photoshop but not the file. I can open files via the open command in Photoshop, with no problem. But I can't double click any file and have it open in PS.

Should I reinstall AdobeCS or reinstall Tiger or is her a fix

PLEASE HELP

Archive & Install does _not_ retain your apps' installation. Some might still work (since they don't install stuff all around the system), but others will break this way. Reinstall apps that misbehave. Basically, an Archive & Install is like a clean installation.

that was a problem independent of tiger - i still have panther and it has been doing that for AGES. it's irritating, but it also does it on pcs - it's buggy adobe code

I solved that once through reinstalling it, though. It's something in its prefs AFAIK.

If it does have something to do with just the preferences file, try rebuilding it like this:

You can re-create the Photoshop preferences file to eliminate problems caused by a damaged preferences file.

Note: Re-creating the Photoshop preferences file restores settings to their defaults.

To re-create the Photoshop preferences file:

1. Quit Photoshop.

2. Drag the Photoshop preferences file to the Trash:

-- Photoshop CS: Drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Prefs.psp in the Users/[ user profile ]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

-- Photoshop 7.x: Drag the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs in the Users/[ user name ]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 7.0 folder to the Trash.

3. Drag the com.adobe.Photoshop.plist file from the Users: [user name]; Library: Preferences folder to the trash. (The com.adobe.Photoshop.plist file is a Photoshop preferences file run at the system level. Like other Photoshop preferences file, it's re-created when Photoshop opens.)

4. Restart Photoshop.

If the problem recurs after you re-create the Photoshop preferences file, the problem isn't related to the preferences file. To restore custom settings, drag the file you moved in step 2 back to its original location, and then click Yes to replace the new preferences file.

I had a problem a while back with photoshop, I'm not even sure what it was anymore but I do remember that it was the preferences file that caused it...

Give that a try, maybe you won't have to reinstall the whole program.

-Murph

...Panther's "Archive & Install" did the same. The missing file is Library>Scripting Additions>Adobe Unit Types. Without this, double clicking a Photoshop file launches the app. but does not open the file - as you describe. If you can find this file and put it back, it should work, but reinstalling Photoshop is probably a simpler method.

Wow, this had been bugging me forever. Never thought it was such a simple solution... and usually I'm quick to reinstall when a program starts acting funny. I suppose I didn't wanna dig up my CS disks.

I installed it fine and I do not have that problem, max sure you back up your Plug ins folder before a reinstall if you have any 3rd party Plug ins

well, maybe not a LIFE saver... but a definite time-saver. thank you so much for posting the scripting additions missing file. I've had the error since having to do an archive/install about 2 weeks ago... and I haven't had time to redo this machine RIGHT ((backup, reformat, reinstall)) so knowing the file to recover is a huge help. :)
thank you!

I'm starting to really regret installing tiger. I've got a g3(900mhz) ibook with 640 ram. Aside from the slow downs that are occurring, my biggest problem is photoshop. I've been following this thread for a bit now, and my problem is similar but not quite the same. Photohop will launch, but it opens no image file, period. I keep getting "could not complete request due to program error." I started with 7, but bit the bullet and got CS. Same problem. Resinstalled both apps, no joy. Trashed the pref files, CS worked once, but not again. I'm a photographer by trade, and I need these apps. Tried to reinstall Panther and the installer disk will not overwrite the "newer operating system". I really, really, don't won't to format my drive here. Can anyone tell how to either fix photoshop, or clean install back to panther?

excdngrunt said:
IPhotohop will launch, but it opens no image file, period. I keep getting "could not complete request due to program error."

The solution to this problem is quite simple. Shut Down your mac. Start up your mac holding down the apple + option (alt) + p + r key until you here the bong sound, release the keys and the mac will boot up as normal but this time photoshop will work as it should!!!!. This is known as zapping the pr ram, you can find out more about this elsewhere if you really want to know.
please post a reply if this works... it avoids having to reinstall anything!!

Zapping pram doesn't solve the Photoshop problem. It's a known bug. Only way to fix it is reinstall PS or add the missing pref file.

Also, 768mb of ram for PS? Not doing much are you?

Upgraded to Tiger 3 days ago, just in the middle of this problem right now, CS or 7,0 start ok but refuse to open any file. What missing prefs file are you taking about? Checked "scriptingAdditions folder too, nothing missing... I am stuck.

Anything new?

jbaazr said:
I installed Tiger using archive and install and everything seemed to go smoothly.
I had 10.3.9 installed before I installed Tiger. I own a PB 15inch 1.67ghz 1gb Ram.

Problem:

Double clicking a file launches Photoshop but not the file. I can open files via the open command in Photoshop, with no problem. But I can't double click any file and have it open in PS.

Should I reinstall AdobeCS or reinstall Tiger or is her a fix

PLEASE HELP

Here is a link for the fix from Adobe. Solution 1 worked for me. I had already tossed my Previous System folder, so I had to get the Adobe Unit Types from another guy at work, but once I dropped it in and restarted everything worked just fine.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329996.html

Good Luck!

Back