Photoshop CS crashing on G5/Tiger

white-back

Registered
I have just upgraded to Photoshop CS on a G5 dual processor and find it is often crashing when attempting Transform Scale or Rotate operations. I've done some of the sensible things like reducing RAM allocated to 70%, cache down to 4 but this has not cured the problem.

I have seen the hot thread on this from back in August 2004 but saw no clear solution. I wonder- is there any consensus now about the problem/solution? I have a "vanilla" set up- no third party fonts or other software loaded- just Tiger and CS.

I am desparate enough to wonder whether I should be trying to get an earlier version of Photoshop- but that would be abot of a heart-breaker.

Might be some help here. I have heard this before that Mac users are experiencing crashes with PS CS. Try the info on this site:

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=169509&seqNum=9&rl=1

Also, have you tried trashing the adobe.plist file?
MacintoshHD>User>Library>Prefrences>com.adobe.plist
That may not be the EXACT wording, but it's close enough. Try dragging that file to the Trash, reboot the Mac, launch PS and try rotating a photo.

One last idea. The Adobe web site support forums. All kinds of useful info there... you might try that.

Carolyn :)

That's helpful- I have been around the Abobe forums and there do seem to be a number of sophisticated users (I am not one) who have found Photoshop CS on Tiger less stable and slower than Photoshop v 7 and to use much more RAM for the same operation. So I shall try the tips offered (mostly around RAM allocation and preferences) and see how things go.

Back