Photoshop CS3 + Lanier printer = gibberish

gwpinetree

Registered
In recent days, we've become unable to print images from Photoshop CS3 on our Lanier 430 PS printer. It's printing the Postscript as text -- multiple pages.

This is happening with both 10.4 and 10.5 machines. These are running through a printer server in another building (I'm at a university).

In following the steps outlined at http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402377
I've installed new PPD for the printer. However, I'm not sure how to apply it, since when I try to create a new printer to use the new PD, two drivers show up, and I can't distinguish the two.

So, one idea is to make sure the old PPD is removed. However, I'm not sure
where that's located. It's possible that while I've installed the PPD on my machine, it's not on the server, so I'm not going to make any progress there.

When I look in /library /printers/lanier/profiles, I don't see anything with today's date (I instaleld the PPD today), or one with a time stamp near the date of the PPD I installed.

So, are .icc files the new name for .ppd files?

Has anyone else dealt successfully with a similar scenario?

Thanks.

Greg

.icc files are color profile files.

Remember that just because you installed a file today it does not mean it was created or modified today. Those attributes are determined when the original creator created or modified the file. You’ve not edited the file, merely downloaded it.

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes the first thing I’d do is make sure the printer is set up as PostScript (to accept PostScript files). Multiple pages with a line of gibberish at the top is a classic symptom of a sending a PostScript file to a non PostScript printer.

Try a direct connection, computer to printer.

Thanks for the note, Simbala.

I tried the direct to printer connection, and go this error:
"No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!"

Seems like a P'shop driver error form here.

Greg

I used the Adobe PDF 9.0 printer driver listed in my print dialogue window, made a pdf and then printed from that without causing the postscript error...

Hope that helps.

mc

Back