photoshop eats my ram

Elliotjnewman

Registered
I do a fair amount of heavy photoshop work, that brings even my G5 dual 2ghz with 2bg RAM to its knees (I work with 10K X 8K multi layered 16 bit RGB tifs).

The thing I dont get is even when I quite photoshop, activity monitor says I am still using 1.8 gigs of ram. Only after a restart can I see my ram usage back to normal.

Anyway to "flush" the ram after photoshop is closed?

Photoshop has a purge-function somewhere. Maybe that would do the trick. However: Mac OS X would handle memory itself after an app has been quit. And it'll try to make use of *all* the RAM you have.

the purge all button in photoshop didnt seem to do the trick, I dont understand why, with only safari running I was using almost 2 gigs of ram... it didnt state that in the user process list, but it stated active ram usage was at 1.8gig and total used was 2gig.

After a restart it went back to normal, though it didnt change when I logged out either...

If you sort the processes by "Real Memory" in Activity Monitor, what are the biggest users?

It's possible (likely, I would say) that this is nothing to worry about. As Fryke said, OS X tries to use ALL the RAM you have. OS X will keep unnecessary data in RAM until the RAM is needed for something else. That way if the "unnecessary" data is needed again soon, it will be ready for access immediately. I think most of this RAM would be listed under "inactive", but it might depend on the type of data (file caching versus application caching, maybe?).

Back