Photoshop Elements 3

Russell

Registered
I am a relative new to Mac so please be patient with me. I have osx version 10.3 if it makes any difference to my problem. I recently installed Photoshop elements 3 along with a new Epson 4990 image scanner ( did not install PSE2 that came with the Epson).

Problem: For several days I was able to scan (about 150) slides, import them directly into Elements 3, enhance, edit, etc. The slides appeared to go into iPhoto library and then could be put into albums, etc. The next day I was unable to get Elements 3 to recognize the scanner. The "Import" under file was grayed out. A message said there was no Import/Export. I tried to use the plug-in "Import/Export" but no matter which icon I tried I got a message that it could not honor my request because of a "wrong document". I am also unable to move any images in Elements to iPhoto to save them there. I have reinstalled the Epson Scanner and Elements 3 but that did not help. There is apparently no uninstall for Elements either. I really do not know where to go from here.

Help!

To uninstall Photoshop Elements 3, you just drag it to the trash. However, that is not your problem. If a peripheral works, it should continue to work. Usually, working devices stop working due to user error. You need to retrace your steps to determine what you did between the last time the scanner worked and the first time it did not work. Now, if you did nothing to cause the problem, well it is one of those things. I presume that the scanner is connected via USB. Well, that is where you begin troubleshooting.

It might help if you explain what "wrong document" means.

I don't know how much this will help but I installed the software for a 3170 a couple days ago for the first time on this machine.

I downloaded the package from the Epson site so as to get the latest possible version (I've had the scanner for about a year or so but this is a new Powerbook).

I just checked to see where things ended up.

In library/Image Capture/Devices - I have Epson Scanner.app
In library/Image Capture/Twain Data Sources - I have Epson Perfection 3170.ds

In library/Application Support/Epson Scanner Module - I have Epson USB Scanner

In Applications - I have Epson Scan.app and Epson Scanner Monitor.app

I've not even tried the Epson Scan.app yet. I just checked to make sure that Photoshop can see and aquire from the Epson Scanner (File -> Import) and it all works fine.

Maybe you should try repairing permissions with Disk Utility

I'm running 10.4.2 and also just installed Adobe Creative Suite 2. Lots of permissions were fixed after that install.

Back