Photoshop Updates at Launch

DavidMD

Registered
Hello, everyone.

I am runnning Photoshop 7.0.1 under Mac OS X (10.2.8); I have "Tiger," but I am in the middle of updating a large Web site for a nonprofit organization and I do not have time to upgrade the operating system.

Recently, when I launch Photoshop, the application connects to an Adobe server and tries to download two update files, the first of which is a text file. This process always hangs at the end of downloading the second file.

If I click Cancel to stop the download process, nothing happens. I finally have to go to the dock and force Photoshop to quit -- twice (always twice).

When I relaunch Photoshop, the same process resumes, preventing me from using Photoshop. Basically, until Photoshop gets those two files, it is not going to let me use it.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this problem so that I can use Photoshop again? (My next step will be to try the Adobe user forums.)

I remember having a similar problem with Photoshop Elements 2.0 on my PC that runs Windows XP Professional and SuSE Linux Professional (but I use Windows only when I must, and Linux for "tinkering").

In the case of Photoshop Elements and Windows XP Pro, I could hit Cancel, if Photoshop Elements was having trouble getting the periodic updates from Adobe, and then I could use the program. Later, Photoshop Elements would successfully download the update files from Adobe.

Recently, however, with Photoshop 7 and Mac OS X, I basically cannot use the program. (This morning, I had trouble booting my Mac, and I fear that these forced quits of Photoshop could be causing some disk corruption.)

I may be looking at a corruption problem (Photoshop or Mac OS X) here, but I certainly hope not, because I need to finish this Web site.

Thank you very much, in advance!

Cordially,

David

David,

Your problem rings such a huge bell in my head that I'm getting a headache.... I know I've had the same exact problem, but I can't remember precisely what I did to remedy the situation.

Have you tried a basic removal of the Photoshop prefs? You should find them in your Home: Library: Preferences: com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

There's also an area in you Application Support folder with Adobe Updater settings. You might try pulling those as well. They're in Home: Library: Application Support: Adobe: Updater:

Hope that helps out somewhat.

Brian

Hello, Brian.

Thank you for your message.

You write the following suggestion:

addicted2macs said:
Have you tried a basic removal of the Photoshop prefs? You should find them in your Home: Library: Preferences: com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

There's also an area in you Application Support folder with Adobe Updater settings. You might try pulling those as well. They're in Home: Library: Application Support: Adobe: Updater:
I appreciate your suggestions, Brian, and I will try them. I can copy the Photoshop preferences and the Adobe updater settings before removing them.

If the problem persists after I take these steps, I can always restore the files.

I will follow your advice, Brian, and then report the results back here, with the hope that a successful outcome will benefit others.

Again, Brian, thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my message!

Cordially,

David

addicted2macs said:
Have you tried a basic removal of the Photoshop prefs?...

There's also an area in you Application Support folder with Adobe Updater settings....
Hi, again, Brian!

I removed the Photoshop preferences file, but -- oddly -- I did not have an :Updates: folder, or any directories along the path that you specified.

Removing the preferences file, however, seems to have done the trick. Thank you very much, Brian! :)

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- I am, however, concerned that I have no Adobe Updater settings directory or folders. Are you running "Tiger," Brian? I am waiting to upgrade to "Tiger" from "Jaguar"; perhaps, Mac OS X 10.2.8 does not have this feature implemented correctly or my copy of Photoshop 7 is not working properly regarding updates.

Clarification: Actually, Brian, I am referring to the Adobe Updater. For example, I am still running Acrobat Reader 5.X -- although 7.X has been out for ages -- but when I check for updates from within 5.X, the application detects no newer version. After I complete this Web site project, I will update Acrobat Reader, or I might not, because I plan to upgrade to "Tiger."

Back