phpBB2

matchbox

Registered
I'm trying to install phpBB2 on my iMac. I've downloaded it from the www.entropy.ch site and been following the installation directions. I unpacked phpBB2 into my Sites directory and then pointed safari at ~me/Sites/phpBB2/install/install.php. This brings up the installation page which wants, among other items, a database name (as well as a database username) but I don't know what this database is. Apparently its supposed to exist before running this install - ?

Read the phpBB2 instructions that came with the forum software. I have set up only Woltlab and on remote servers, thus I needed to find out if they supported mysql, cgi etc. The phpBB infos should tell exactly what is needed.

Make sure you read the documentation thoroughly. You will need to download and install MySQL, most likely, before it will work. You'll also need to enable PHP in OS X.

If you don't know where to go from there, come back here and ask.

Hi, if u wanna install a phpBB forum u need basically, three things....the apache web server, the php module, and the mysql database. Fortunately, the apache web server come with the OS X (any version, but I recomend u have the last, jaguar or at least panther). So, u just need install the php module and the mysql. Where do u get that? dont worry....a wonderful person made a double click installer for that....well u finish to install it, u need to download a mysql database administrador (this thing is usefully if u wanna built new databases without learn php or unix commands). The best and free is phpMyAdmin.

Ok, here the links :)

php - msql instruccions
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/

phpMyAdmin
http://phpMyAdmin.net

good luck, and i u r in troubles again, use the search (or ask)

leinad256 said:

The Entropy web site is always my first port of call after doing a big fresh install of my system.

Be warned: the installation instructions for MySQL on the Entropy site a little cryptic and you could end up messing the whole thing quite easily.

There aren't any specific instructions for Panther [OS X 10.3]

PHP is a doddle to install, that really is a double-click and you're done sort of thing.

For MySQL, follow points 1 to 4 on the Entropy site, but don't run the last 2, or you'll mess everything up:

1) Download the package mentioned above to your desktop. Unpack it and then double-click on the .pkg file to install it.

2) Open a terminal window and type in the following commands (without the double quotes):

3) type cd /usr/local/mysql

4) type sudo chown -R mysql data/, enter your Mac OS X account password when asked for it.

Then, skip to the points into outline box beneath; this is to shorten the command line path for MySQL. The rest is pretty easy after that.

From the package -- that you'll undoubtedly download -- there'll be another installer. That's to make MySQL launch every time after you restart.

If you've passed through all of this error-free, I'd advise a restart just to set stuff up properly.

Hope that helps?..

Back