Picasa 2 on OSX - A short how to

trekerboy

Registered
I was searching through google about how to get picasa running on my mac and found this site. I posted about how to run Picasa 2 within OSX. Hopefully all those searching through google for a solution to this problem find this helpful:

http://trekerboy.blogspot.com/

That's a great solution, but the downside is that Crossover is only available for intel Macs. So those of us with PPC Macs are still out of luck.

Not only that, but crossover loses out bigtime to Parallels, I looked at both, but I couldn't countenance buying something where _some_ apps worked and others didn't, if I was gonna invest in Win32 compatibility i really needed the full deal, which i get from Parallels (plus bootcamp, which is free, for 3d stuff). When I first looked, crossover lacked MS Office support, the main thing i needed, so it was a no brainer for me - parallels all the way.

That said, Picassa is pretty nice, but i get similar functionality out of Aperture plus Gallery running on my webserver, costs a lot more though :)

(rapidly becoming an aperture junkie - Aperture + RAW mode on my D50 plus 18-200 VR lens = pure joy)

Not only that, but crossover loses out bigtime to Parallels, I looked at both, but I couldn't countenance buying something where _some_ apps worked and others didn't, if I was gonna invest in Win32 compatibility i really needed the full deal, which i get from Parallels (plus bootcamp, which is free, for 3d stuff). When I first looked, crossover lacked MS Office support, the main thing i needed, so it was a no brainer for me - parallels all the way.

That said, Picassa is pretty nice, but i get similar functionality out of Aperture plus Gallery running on my webserver, costs a lot more though :)

(rapidly becoming an aperture junkie - Aperture + RAW mode on my D50 plus 18-200 VR lens = pure joy)

Yes, I agree that parallels has some advantages over crossover, however one very big advantage that crossover has over parallels is that you don't need a windows license to use it.

As a side not, I've found that if you used the version of Picasa 2 for windows 98 it runs flawlessly with crossover, no bugs.

Yes, I agree that parallels has some advantages over crossover, however one very big advantage that crossover has over parallels is that you don't need a windows license to use it.

As a side not, I've found that if you used the version of Picasa 2 for windows 98 it runs flawlessly with crossover, no bugs.

Good to know, I suspect If I'd got in on the free beta i may have stuck with it, but when i got my intel mac, the lack of office supported made me chose parallels. That and the general issue of having to check compatibility per program rather than it all working. Much as I'm becoming a Parallels evangelist, I certainly think it's good to have competition.

Also - I had an xp license anyway, so that wasn't an issue, but it is a good point.

One thing that Crossover fails at with Picasa is movie files. This isn't a shortcoming of the program since it uses Wine bottles to virtualize the Windows API, but it is something to take note of.

On the other hand, Parallels won't have any problems since it is a fully fledged virtualized Windows emulator.

As a note, Crossover will not let you view movie files since they use windows media player to display. In Parallels this is not a problem.

I thought I read that Crossover DOES support Office XP. Hmm . . .

It's too late right now for me to check.

Gnight

t

Back