Picked up AN Imac , Have a Few questions

markpa

Registered
I was suppose to have bought an emac on the weekend but after seeing the 17" Imac , i quickly changed my mind. I got the
17-inch widescreen LCD
1.8GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
600MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
80GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive
I also bought some memory 512mb_havent installed it yet.)

ANyways lets start of saying that the last time i used a mac was about 3 years ago at school, so im a bit rusty that being said, here are my questions hopefully sum1 can answer them.

1. I had trouble playing an avi file in quick time so i download vlc, and it worked perfectly, but being me i wanted quicktime to play the file so i download the divx codecs and 3ivx, and the movie plays in quicktime but cant hear sound. How would i fix this.

Second part to this question is Im considering buying toast 6 so that i can burn the avi file to a dvd so that i can watch on my tv. WIll toast work ?
2. Second question is kinda complicated so i explain it the best way i can, on my pc whenever u download software it either comes in a setup file or a zip file either way aftyer the program is installed u can delete the setup file, now on my mac how would i know which file to delete?

Thanks in advance

I don't have an answer for question #1, but for the #2 it's quite simple... if the file comes in a .sit (or other format recognized by Stuffit Expander), you can delete that file after installing the app. if the file comes in a dmg file, once you have copied the app in your application folder, you can unmount the disk image, and then delete the dmg.

Nice imac :D .. i hope to get a 20" in the new year then the ram upgrade from www.crucial.com! (loads cheaper than apple's site).

by the way.... You've got an email ;) (seen on the pic) :D

Jammin said:
Nice imac :D .. i hope to get a 20" in the new year then the ram upgrade from www.crucial.com! (loads cheaper than apple's site).

by the way.... You've got an email ;) (seen on the pic) :D
Lol i still havent checked that message.
I was really debating whether or not to get the bigger one put, it was just too much, Im trying to save up for a couple apps and more memory.

I hope u do get it, its a very nice maching I love it its a big step up from my 4 year old pc. lol.

Ive got a Ti Powerbook 15" that i've had for about 3 years nearly and its served me very well, for christmas its getting a ram upgrade to 1024mb and then will be a great tool for me to display work to clients when i have to go out and about.. The 20" will simply be my monster machine that does everything at home :) , Im considering upgrading my Airport to Airport Express+airtunes, but i cant decide yet...

markpa said:
Anyways lets start of saying that the last time i used a mac was about 3 years ago at school, so im a bit rusty <snip>

well since you have been away for a while, let me point to you some really cool Mac sites besides this one.

Software downloads:
Versiontracker.com
MacUpdate.com

Hardware mods & Upgrades (with a really good hardware upgrade database):
Accelerate Your Macintosh.com

OS X hints galore:
Mac OS X Hints.com

Lastly, a site will a lot of Macintosh pages linked on it:
MacPicks.com

I hope these pages help you with your new iMac. Good luck with a new great computer.

Back