Pics come out read-only from iPhoto

lawyervon

Registered
I'm taking photos on my Sony DSC-L1. I plug my USB into my Mac Book Pro, and iPhoto sucks them into iPhoto. Inside iPhoto, I rotate photos to the right direction, and then, from the iPhoto folder in my Pictures folder, I move the photos out to my network storage drive for access to all of my network computers.

When I go to access the photos on my network storage drive, they are no longer rotated. UGH! And, then when I go to rotate them (often on a Windows computer that's attached to my network because I can't seem to get as usable an interface on my Mac Book Pro for Finder-level photo manipulation like I can get in WinXP's Explorer), I get an error that says they're read-only files. UGH!

In Windows, if I pull up the Properties file, it doesn't show them as read-only, so they're stuck that way unless I redo the whole process starting from a Windows computer because, for some reason, they don't become read-only when I do the process using WinXP.

What's the problem?

So, you are taking the photos directly out of the iPhoto folder? I'm pretty sure that you have to export them from the iPhoto App, otherwise your liable to run into problems.

Ah! Maybe that's the problem. I couldn't figure out how to get them out of iPhoto, so I was just going straight to the iPhoto folder. So, this hits me much like the process of Google's Picasa software -- import the photo, manipulate the photo, iPhoto keeps the original intact in case you want to use it later but allows you to export the new version to a new location. Is that process how I should be doing things?

I don't know if this would help with the rotated pics, but try and drag a pic from iPhoto and drop it into the finder, just a thought

Nope, just tried, didn't work oops

What about playing around with the iPhoto share menu, see what you can discover out of that, I have a few extra plugins to experiment with, so my results might confuse your results

I had some problems with rotating them, then dragging them out. They showed as unrotated in the new photo. What did work was selecting the picture, then going to file -> export . Try that.

Back