picture icons gone (OS 10.5.3)

processor93

Registered
actually i've been running 10.5.3 just fine for a few days now. but suddenly last night my picture-preview icons disappeared, i'm left with only the plain app-related icons. i hope you know what i'm talking about.

i don't think i changed anything. i'm also running parallels with windows XP hom on it, but again that's been fine and i didn't lose my icons before. it's not a terrible thing, just kind of nice to see, and i wonder why they're gone? i ran disk utility and there was nothing to fix.

You've probably figured this out by now, but in case anyone else comes across this thread, here's the answer: Leopard allows you to set your icon preview settings so that it shows what is inside the file, versus the standard program-associated icons. Somehow this was turned on, maybe when you upgraded something.

To turn it off, click on desktop, go to View>Show View Options. Unselect the box that says "Show Icon Preview." That'll fix the desktop.

Or if it is doing it within the folders, open a folder and select View>Show View Options and unselect "Show Icon Preview." Then hit "default." That'll fix it across the board within the folders.

Goodbye weird icons, hello good ole program icons.

Back