pictures on safari page show up as blue square???

lennynhazel

Registered
im curious as to why im getting a blue square with a question mark on websites like myspace when i click on view more pictures when im on safari?
am i missing some sort of plugin or anything like that???? i try to refresh and sometimes it gets fixed, but other times i keep refreshing the page and nothing happens. i keep getting the blue box and i just give up. anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Are you sure this is a problem with Safari and not the site? Safari displays that blue box in place of images that it can't load, usually because either the file doesn't exist or the server hosting it is not responding.

Have you tried this site in other browsers, such as Firefox?

Sometimes that error shows also when in the code it shows that the page should be displaying an image, but the image isn't there.
So if someone would be using img src tag to a picture that was removed, or bandwidth was gone, or didn't like hotlinking, it would show the unknown image symbol - the blue square in this case.
If the same page has a missing picture symbol in other browsers too, then it's not the browser but the code on the page, or the image missing where ever it was linked to.

thanks for all your replies. but im thinking the problem IS with safari, because when i use my home pc and i go to the same site (usually myspace) i go to the same pages as im in, in safari. and everything comes up the way its suppose to.

here's an example of my friend's myspace "view more pictures" page.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a252/lennynhazel/Picture1-1.png

when i view that same page on my home pc xp, i view it perfectly fine. so i dont know what it could be.

I have getting the same error/bug ever since i started using the new Safari Beta
(3.03 is the latest build i think) and i suspect that the problem IS with Safari.

The exact same links that Safari barfed on, cut and pasted into Firefox and Camino, show the pictures properly with no error.

I just tested the page in Safari 3.0.3b, Firefox 2.0.0.6, Camino 2.0a1pre, and Opera 9.23. All four browsers render the page essentially the same. Each shows a .png image of a man kissing a baby girl followed by the white question marks on blue background indicative of the browsers' inability to resolve the subsequent images. I think it safe to say that this test puts to rest the notion that the problem is a "Safari problem."

Hold the phone! Upon further examination, lennynhazel gave a direct link inside an area that requires an authenticated login. One picture is displayed but the others are not available. If you login, then they will probably all display properly.

He gave a direct link to a screenshot, so they would all render the same.

I dont think it is a Safari problem since i can view pictures on MySpace just fine. However sometimes i am unable to see some pictures on the internet and they appear as a blue square.

He gave a direct link to a screenshot, so they would all render the same.

Linking to a picture of the problem is not the same as linking to the problem. With the latter, someone on this forum may be able to find a solution. With the former, all the OP will get is sympathy.

Next time you're in Safari and run into the missing image problem, right-click or control-click on the blue box and select "Open Image in New Tab" (or "...in New Window", whichever you prefer).

If you get a server error, i.e., "404 File Not Found", then the problem lies with the image itself -- the file isn't where it's supposed to be on the web server. If you load the image successfully in the new window, chances are Safari had trouble loading it in time on its first try and gave up.

This is a simplification; there could be other factors involved, like a proxy server that blocks images, temporary network blockage, all kinds of fascinating things.

If anyone experiencing this Safari issue wants more feedback from the community, try posting URLs of pages that are causing the problem for you (not a screenshot, since we all know what the unloaded images icon looks like).

yes the link i gave IS just a screenshot of what im getting when i open up webpages. and its just one specific. its different ones. i google something and the blue icons show up. i go on myspace and check out peoples pictures show up as blue icons. i get on my xp desktop and i go to the same sites and they show up perfect. i have no idea what it could be but its frustrating.

yes the link i gave IS just a screenshot of what im getting when i open up webpages. and its just one specific. its different ones. i google something and the blue icons show up. i go on myspace and check out peoples pictures show up as blue icons. .... i have no idea what it could be but its frustrating.
There are a lot of people on this forum who have a lot of experience. We can help you if you want the help. To do that, you will have to post a link to one of your problematic sites. This is now the fourth time that you have been asked for such a link. If you just want to bitch and moan about your problem with no solution to it, then keep doing what you are doing.

im not bitching and moaning. im simply stating what i've already stated before. as far as a link. i already said its any of my friend's profile on myspace. and when i google ANYTHING and do a search on "images" i get the same thing. so if you want a link its just myspace.com and google.com and any other website with an image. im not sure if you want me to be more specific and just give you my myspace (just let me know)so you can see but its not the site its MY macbook. i know this because as i've stated before. i go to those sites on both my macbook AND my xp desktop at the same time and i get the blue icon on my macbook but when i do it on my desktop it works perfectly fine. so i dont think it has anything to do with giving out specific links so you guys can go on it because i did that myself (i own 2 desktops and 2 laptops (1 being xp and other being this mac). so i've tried those sites with the others and they work ok. i just want to figure out WHY my macbook does this. its very random. somtimes it'll show all the images. sometimes it'll show half. other times it wont show any. i do have the latest update of safari as well as tiger.

im not bitching and moaning. ...
Then what are you doing? People come to this forum to find solutions to problems, to help others with problems, to spread rumors, to share news, to pontificate on one issue or another, or to enjoy the company of other Mac users.

Many of our readers discover things in common with the posts already here. You have come here and insisted that you have a problem. So far, you have refused all offers of help to find a solution. If there is someone else who has a similar problem, then they will not benefit from the solution to it. Have fun.

It is not entirely unreasonable for him to think that someone else has had this same problem and has come to a solution. Anyone who's had this problem would probably be able to identify it by what he has said.

It sounds possible that you have some kind of content filter installed, and it's become over-aggressive. Have you ever installed anything like BFilter, PithHelmet or SafariBlock? If the latter two are installed, they would be in "/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins" (or in the same sub-directory of your Home folder's Library folder).

That said, yes, specific links would help. You may think this problem stretches to everything, and you may be right, but from our perspective, it's still possible that you just unluckily run into the few places where this problem occurs, and that the same would happen to us in those same places. Without an actual example, we can't determine that. It seems that nobody else has a far-reaching image loading problem, so the natural next step is to see if we have the problem with the exact pages you do.

Also, which version of Safari are you using? If you're using the 3.0 beta, you might want to try reverting back to version 2. Betas are bound to have problems for some people. On the other hand, if you're using version 2, you might want to try the 3.0 beta, if only as a test.

The problem was explained:
when i google ANYTHING and do a search on "images" i get the same thing.

If he had given a url, we probably would have seen the images.

LennynHazel: Do you have the latest versions of plugins? Specifically, Flash and Quicktime. The default install will put those plugins in hard drive.Library>Internet plug-ins. If your date modified on those files is older than 2007, you need to install the newer version.

Ignore most of the above.

First thing, I would check your plugins. Is your Quicktime up to date?

Okay, I'm seeing the three blue boxes as well, in both Safari and Firefox ...

Interestingly, this pic is all one .png, not four separate pix as would be normal ... and, I do not have trouble with images anywhere else ... maybe very, very rarely.

You can always try trashing the preferences/ plist of any problematic app, and installing a fresh copy sometimes solves the problem. I would also check the Safari Beta discussions on Apple Support.

zo219 maybe you shouldnt have ignored most of the above. Everyone knows that its a link to a screenshot not the problematic site.

the link i gave was for a screenshot of what im seeing. basically i see those blue icons everytime i log into my myspace account and i look down at where all my friends are. most of their pictures wont show up. and if i click on "view my friends" it does the same thing. now, i did what you guys said and looked to see about my plugins and they're all up to date.

now something new. it could still be related to my macbook. i have firefox and it does the same thing. not as frequent as safari but yes it still does it. after i tried it, i thought it might of been something with my router. but like i've stated before: my xp desktop which is wireless connected to the router (same as my macbook) does NOT give me this issue. im not trying to be difficult and im not trying to whine about anything. i love my macbook and i just want this issue solved.

thanks for all your guys' help. its very appriciated.

**edit** i forgot to mention that this macbook is fairly new (about 5 months old) and it came with safari 2.0 but i was recomended to upgrade to 3.0. and so far with 2.0 and 3.0 i still kept getting the "blue icons of death" as i will refer to them now..jk.
also, i am downloading safari 3.0 for my xp to see if i experience the same thing. i'll let you guys know soon enough

If Firefox is doing the same thing, then it is indeed a plug-in that is either not working, or not set correctly.

Go to System Preferences>QuickTime>Advanced and at the very bottom click on MIME settings.
Click on the arrow next to Images. Now make sure all the types have a chekc mark next to them. I use a different plug-in for .pdf, so that one I do not have checked.
Once you have doubled checked those file types, click on the okay button (it will be grayed out if you did not make any changes) and close the System Preferences window.

Now give it a try.

Back