Pioneer A07 (aka 107D) DVD burner and 10.3.3

b4tn

Registered
So I specifically went out of my way to get this drive because it was reported as having native support in panther. SO far it is bootable, works great in Toast, and plays and burns DVD's flawlessly. But It doesn't work in iDVD, iDVD spits out the tray and asks for a burnable disk but when you insert a blank disk it says the disk is not burnable. This isn't really a huge issue because I can burn in toast but it is very annoying because after sitting forever for iDVD to encode the project toast wants to re-encode it again so It takes forever to do one project. I tried patchburn II but when installing it it says patchburn II is not needed because the drive has native support. I am using iDVD 4 and this is in an AGP G4.

b4tn said:
So I specifically went out of my way to get this drive because it was reported as having native support in panther. SO far it is bootable, works great in Toast, and plays and burns DVD's flawlessly. But It doesn't work in iDVD, iDVD spits out the tray and asks for a burnable disk but when you insert a blank disk it says the disk is not burnable. This isn't really a huge issue because I can burn in toast but it is very annoying because after sitting forever for iDVD to encode the project toast wants to re-encode it again so It takes forever to do one project. I tried patchburn II but when installing it it says patchburn II is not needed because the drive has native support. I am using iDVD 4 and this is in an AGP G4.

When you burn your DVD in Toast 6, don't hit the Video tab, and then select DVD. Once you have already used iDVD to encode it, open up Toast, hit the Data tab, and on the pane that comes out, click advanced settings and select DVD-Rom (UDF)

This is what i use to backup my dvd movies, i too was having problems with Toast 6 re-encoding an already finished 'project' (in my case, a set of .VOB files) and had no need for Toast to re-encode.

This should save you some time.

Well I tried but toast just wants to burn the .dvdproj archive file as a data file. I tried opening th econtents but inside it is not a standard DVD type layout. How did you export your projects from iDVD? I am just saving it as an archive..

b4tn said:
Well I tried but toast just wants to burn the .dvdproj archive file as a data file. I tried opening th econtents but inside it is not a standard DVD type layout. How did you export your projects from iDVD? I am just saving it as an archive..

I never used iDVD to export projects. I just thought if you already encoded it in iDVD it should be a known format, maybe apple doesn't want you to do this or something; or maybe it's not as simple as just making dvd backups.

Sorry, maybe someone else will stroll along with further insight.

On www.xlr8yourmac.com there have been people reporting that certain 107d drives are showing up as DVD RW (not supported???) instead of DVD-RW. What and why no one is certain as of yet.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/mar04/031804.html#S17141

Someone there reported having success flashing the drive via a pc, thus enabling native support (Flash file link included with above article).

One option that you might want to try, is Lacie's drivers that they developed for 10.3.2. I used them before updating to 10.3.3 and they supported both iTunes and iDVD just fine.

One thing I noticed, at least on my system, was it only showed up after placing the driver in the system library. Their instructions said you could place the driver either in your Users library or the System library. But it didn't show as being supported when I placed the drivers in my User library. In the system library and one reboot later took care of that, at least for me. :)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22460

Hope this helps you out.

You have to remove the face plate off the front of the drive in order for it to clear the opening in you mac.

It comes off fairly easy, being held on by 4 plastic tabs.

i took it back and got the proper non-fancy one ;)

im happy to report that 10.3.3 fully suports the A07, every app recognizes it, as does the apple system profiler.

also with a hack, in iDVD you can burn to an disk image, and then burn that in toast onto a DVD+R if thats what you have (what i have because of nice packaging needed for a client :confused: )

Back