Pioneer Dvd Writer Dvr 109

Wendz2

I am running Tiger on a Mac Mini. I have installed an external firewire connected Pioneer DVr109. I installed Patchburn. The DVD writer is picked up by Toast Titanium 6. It tested ok and burned a DVD on a friends laptop also running Tiger but on the Mac Mini it tells me there is no disc in the burner all the time. I have tried different brands of DVD disk but no joy.
What have I done? what have I not done? Do I need a specific drivers for it? I have repaired permissions and restarted. But always there is 'no disc' when there is one in there. Help!!

Wendz2 said:
I am running Tiger on a Mac Mini. I have installed an external firewire connected Pioneer DVr109. I installed Patchburn. The DVD writer is picked up by Toast Titanium 6. It tested ok and burned a DVD on a friends laptop also running Tiger but on the Mac Mini it tells me there is no disc in the burner all the time. I have tried different brands of DVD disk but no joy.
What have I done? what have I not done? Do I need a specific drivers for it? I have repaired permissions and restarted. But always there is 'no disc' when there is one in there. Help!!

I'm having similar probs with the DVR-109 on a G5 (dual 2.7, 2GB, Tiger) -- I'm running Toast 6.1.1 (which is fine with DVD-R DL, according to Roxio).

I'm getting no joy burning DVD -R DL discs. Burner won't accept the disc -- keeps telling me to "please insert recordable disc".

Pioneer says this burner is capable of burning DVD-R DL discs. But the mac System Profiler says it can only burn DVD+R DL. And yet, a friend assures me he can burn DVD-R DL on his PC using the DVR-109. Huh? What's going on here?

Is this a firmware issue specific only to Macs? (btw: My firmware version is A912) Where does one get DVR-109 firmware for macs? -- PC only on the Pioneer site.

Any help from the community is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Here is how I have semi-solved my problem,

1/ I got rid of the firewire enclosure and bought a USB one.

2/ I downloaded Patchburn and used it to install the Pioneer 109.

3/ I downloaded and used Dragon Burn 4.1

After that I successfully burnt a DVD.
I have tried using Toast 6 to burn but it always gets hung up on the readout. It just won't finish them off. In that case I would say it is a software problem. Also the firewire is an old way of connection and not really compatible with the newer Macs (so I am told)
Hope this is of some help.

Back