Pioneer DVR-107

Pengu

Digital Music Pimp
Heyas,

I emailed a company we deal with through TAFE about a price for a Pioneer DVR-106 "Superdrive" (they had the 'A06' kits listed in an email newsletter, but not the 106 'OEM'.) and was told they only have the 106 in "retail packaging" with software, because the 106 "OEM" has been end-of-lifed, and they are waiting for the 107. (expected late feb/early march).

Anyone have any idea if this is likely to be supported by Apple software? If the 107 is (going to be) supported by iTunes/iDVD/DiscBurner etc, then i'll wait for it, because it will no doubt have better features/speeds/specs than the 106.

Cheers,

Pengu

http://www.burn-media.co.uk/acatalog/DVD_RW_Drives.html

Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD±R/DVD-RW

The Pioneer DVR-A07 drive enables high-speed recording at 8x on both DVD-R and +R media. In addition to the improved performance, the DVR-A07 is a multiple format drive, supporting the DVD Forum's DVD-R and DVD-RW disc formats as well as the +R and +RW formats. This helps eliminate format confusion, which has become a growing problem for potential buyers. The drive records high-speed DVD-RW and +RW media at up to 4x speed, and CD-R and CD-RW media at up to 24x speed.

The DVR-A07 will be bundled with a high quality software suite. This enables consumers to easily capture video and edit the footage and also provides DVD authoring, writing and playback functionality.

We Expect to take stock of the Pioneer DVR-A07 early January 2004, subscribe to our mailing and be one of the first to own the fastest 8x DVD + & - DVD Write

Apple should definitely add those to its computers, at least to the G5. I bet they're expensive, though, and would probably add a bit to the cost.

I'm about to get a price for the 107. Who needs all the "bundled high-quality software" when you've got panther?? :)

The place i'm talking with doesn't have any prices yet :(
And unfortunately, even thought the $AU is about $US.75 right now, we still end up paying double the US prices for anything thats sold there...

I just replaced my DVR-104 with a DVR-106 - got it NEW IN BOX off Ebay for $81 + $10 shipping - black face but who cares - it's in a Sawtooth behind a door anyway. What a GREAT PRICE! Wonder if my Mac would recognize the 107 as a Superdrive??

I purchased a DVR-106 myself and just purchased ilife04. When using idvd in stage 3 it takes a while and in stage 4 just goes on forever. So I decided to check profiler while iDVD is running and in stage three porfiler no longer says Apple supported/shipped next to burn for the DVD drive, but when I reboot the supported shipped is back. Anyone have any idea why this happens? BTW I have done a complete rebuild of the system and reloaded all the OS patches. I am running Panther fully patched. Thanks in advance

Solved my own problem, but I will tell you what I did in case you want to know.

When I originally installed the DVR-106D I went with CS (Cable Select) for connecting the new drive, that was the only way in the beginning that I could get my G4 (SP MDD) to recognize the DVD Burner as Apple Supported/shipped in the System Profiler. Well when Install ilife04 It would go through iDVD to the 3rd stage of burning, and then when I looked in the system profiler the drive would no longer say Apple Supported and shipped. So what I did was a clean install of Panther and also moved the jumper to Master for the DVD Burner in the top slot and Slave for the Apple shipped CD-R burner in the lower slot. Then I installed iLife04 again and everything seems to play nicely together now. Hope that helps if others are having the same problem.

I would have went with master for the 106 and slave for the other from the start, just because of that problem, not to mention the DVD burner should have precedence over the other drive, else say if you have a CD in the other, you may have buffer underrun problems, or other errors when burning.

When I originally did it I kind of went with what the factory did. They had the one that came with it using CS. It was a place to start and worked very well until I tried using iDVD.

I installed my superdrive a couple months ago and it worked fine with idvd 3 but now idvd 4 will not burn a dvd. I can durn data dvd's from my desktop though. And another weird thing: the dvd tray is not opening until I restart the computer. This all seemed to start when I installed iLife 04

Jason,

As far as I know the 107 isn't fully supported by Apple yet, probably to new for the current set of drivers they have in 10.3.2, but on www.xlr8yourmac.com they mention a program called patchburn 2 (or something close to that) that will allow the OS to recognize the drive.

In my last post I mentioned a place that had these drives for 155.00 with free shipping, I might have to get one of those and try my luck with patchburn, until apple releases an update to OS X that will have support for it built-in.

I have a DVR-106D and it works fine, except since it's an external firewire device, it doesn't work with iDVD. Anybody know a hack to allow it to work? By the way, I'm working on a powerbook G4/800 (bought it before superdrives were an option) so putting the drive into the case isn't going to happen.

When you put a '3rd party' (i.e a drive not from Apple) even if it has the same ROM it will lose the functinality of iDVD/Disk Burner and other Apple Apps that burn from the Internal DVD-R/RW +R/RW

Back