Pippin II aka iGame

JakPuma

12 year old arcade freak
At MacWorld Tokyo, Apple will introudcw the iGame game console. If u didn't know, the Pippin was a game cosnole from apple in 1997 that was only sold in Japan, the technology was licensed to the Japanese conglomerate Bandai and sold in the US as the Bandai @World. And this will have wireless controllers and run a modified OS X with NetSprocket and GameSprocket support!

That Apple would want to enter into the crowded gaming console market. There are already PS2, NGC, and XBox, why would apple even consider it? Furthermore, Sega, who has an EXCELLENT in house gaming development team couldn't even cut it as a console hardware developer, how could Apple possibly succeed? Considering that Apple doesn't have an in house gaming team, and even Microsoft had to buy themselve tons of game developers before the XBox debut.

-B

Sega did have good technology, there were some later Dreamcast games with GREAT graphics (I have 1 of the last games made for it). I have a Sega Dreamcast, and its my favorite game system.

First generations of anything are doomed to fail from my observations :p

CD32, by amiga -- first 32 bit console...failed
Atari Jaguar -- first 64 bit console... failed
Sega Dreamcast -- first 128bit console...failed.

Admiral

hmm... bad, bad. the market is full and microsoft has a *good* bite in it. sega closed its development.

pippin failed miserably.

no games for os x.

well, i guess the idea is really *so* bad that it's not even worth thinking of what Apple *could* do in the gaming industry with a new platform.

How will OS X in these consoles support gamepads when it's a pain in the ass to get them to work in OS X (if you can)???

Did you hear this from the latest EGM (Electronic Gaming Montly) mag. This is in there April edition. They always have an April Fools rumor in this monthly.

igame.jpg

Apple could be successful in the console market if they made the console as fashionable as the iPod. Many Windows users think of the iPod when they think of Apple, not OS X, so I don't think a lack of gaming support in OS X would handicap them there.

But as stated earlier, the market is very crowded. Apple would need to go above and beyond what others are offering, but the console market isn't just about technology. It's about contracts between game developers. At the moment, Microsoft has a lot of contracts.

Make sure you notice the age of the thread. ;) ... About the April issue: Well, it's pretty clear it's an April fool's joke...

Back