Pismo 500MHz and Tiger

ziess

Registered
Hi guys.

Does anybody have any experience running OS X on a 500MHz Pismo powerbook? I've got the opportunity to get one on the cheap to use for taking notes in lectures, web-browsing and word processing but there's not much point if it's not going to run OS X at a usable speed.

My BW G3 is only a 350MHz and even when I run at 1600x1200 on my Studio Display (that's with an Ati Rage 128...) it's still usable.
If the Pismo could be comparable to the BW G3 at 1024x768 then i'll go for it (although i'd expect it to be faster...)
From my experience of slow desktop G4s (350-400MHz), they'd be fast enough for my needs so far as mobile computing goes.
So yeah, I want to do basic things (iTunes, Mellel/Appleworks/Word, Safari/Camino and Adium and maybe even watch some DVDs) while i'm mobile, i'm not expecting to be able to play Doom 3 or work with massive Photoshop files so I don't really think i'll miss that velocity engine.

Would the Pismo cut the mustard?

Specs are 500MHz G3, 384Mb, 12 Gb, DVD

Thanks in advance.

Tommy.

ps. Can I boot the Pismo in FireWire target mode? I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it.

I ran Mac OS X on a G3-500 with 384MB of RAM and a 10GB hard drive as well. It worked quite nicely, though it was nowhere near "teh snappy". It should certainly be up to the tasks you want (iTunes, Mellel/Appleworks/Word, Safari/Camino and Adium and maybe even watch some DVDs) so I'd just go ahead and try it.

Back