Pixar's RenderMan Pro Server Available for the Macintosh!

Woot (? || !)

So what are you going to do with it? :)

There was a thread a while back about Pixar using G5's for their design and development purposes, if not for server farms. So it makes all-too-much sense that they would develop Renderman for OS X.

Originally posted by arden
Woot (? || !)

So what are you going to do with it? :)

I'm going to enjoy some more quality movies from Pixar! :D ;)

PLUS this gives me another reason to push Macs into the 3d creation market for pros... :p

Pixar just switched from Sun hardware to Intel hardware. I don't guess they'd switch again - and so soon. I'm quite sure S. Jobs would love Pixar to use Macs, and I think they'll make that step. But probably they'll just replace them over time, no need to replace them all at the same time. Ah, compatible software. ;-)

As in they switched to using Intel hardware for the final render job or the design stages?

It'd be so great if Pixar used Macs. That'd probably help out the Apple shares. Just imagine finishing watching the best 3D movie ever and at the very end (before the credits) a huge thing comes up that reads "Made on a Mac". :)

arden: Render Farm. Dunno about the design stages. But the former was mentioned widely in the news as a 'bad thing' for SUN. I _thought_ they were using SUN workstations for the design stages, too, before, but I'm not sure. Would have to take a look at that 'behind the scenes' feature again on the Monsters Inc. DVD. But then again, that's been made a few months/years ago, hasn't it?

Well, they wouldn't directly credit Apple so blatantly (I doubt I would either), but I'm sure somewhere in the credits they'd list the hardware used, like after stunt doubles and cameramen. ;)

If Pixar weren't going to use Macs for creating and editing their movies, I highly doubt Apple would have created the Pixlet codec.

Back