platinum vs aqua

Scott_Bernard

El flaco de la loca mac
i'll try to make me understand because my english skills are basic.
after mousing arround in X about 3 hours, restarted my system in 9...
WOW!!! I couldn't believe my eyes... the screen was very very VERY clear
and easy to read... I know Aqua is cute, but is so heavy to use for long time.
As a graphic designer, all I need is have all in the right place and so unobstructive (i dont know if this word is right) as possible. So I can focuse in my work...
Yeah... Aqua is beautifull but in my 17" monitor at 1152x870 screen resolution it looks smaller than platinum in 1024x768...
Is Aqua a GUI for home use? browse the net, play games etc...
I'm not shure if I'm right, but the fact is that for work in photoshop (especially), illustrator etc... platinum is my choice...

what do you think?:confused:

Platinum gets my vote

I use a lot of Java applications and "Swing" (the GUI toolkit) lets you choose a look and feel, you can have the Aqua look (Mac) the Windows look (PC) or one of their own (Metal, Motif) or even third party ones (kunstoff <- excuse spelling).

It would be great if Apple implemented plugable look and feel's and let us swap between them:
Aqua when showing off the Mac
Platinum when doing some work

Ab

I used Platinum for about four years (prior to that, it wasn't really Platinum, it was whatever System 7 had), and when I saw OS X, I couldn't wait to get in on it.
For me it isn't just the look and feel (although I really like that too), it is the whole UI interface. For example, having the Save sheets attached to the document window. And the Drawers are a stroke of genius! And I'm not sure how I would do without the Column view now.
Truth is, I booted into OS 9 on my computer exactly once, to test it, and I have had my iBook for four months. I haven't actually used Classic for weeks either.
I guess I am just X-addicted!

Platinum is far more usable than Aqu, no doubt in my mind. I'm surrently using Max Rudberg's Rhapsodized, which is a nice X-friendly version of Platinum, But it's just not the same.

Ever since around the time the iMac rolled around, Apple has been slacking somewhat in developing for people who actualy work with their Macs, and focusing more on selling computers to people who simply need email, web, and chat access and are attracted to shiny things.

Kinda sad, really, but I suppose you do what you must to stay in business.

I got into osx last summer once I got 10.1 and I haven't looked back. I don't agree about the cutesyness of it - I just think osx looks nicer, and more importantly its whats underneath aqua. It is more memory intensive than os9 of course and needs a faster machine relatively but I think its worth it for the majority of users, whether at home or for design work. Especially now that nearly all the industry standard apps are out for osx now (I'm sure I don't have to mention a certain DTP program :) )

I think that Apple have been pushing consumer sales but they have done a lot of work to get pro users converted too (Buying emagic for example). And since we're on UNIX now, it gives Mac users another advantage over windows for web development.

I'm probably not being very articulate since I haven't been to bed yet but hopefully you get my point!

I see your point, especially about the new super-high-end apps they're buying and releasing, but I still say that the Aqua UI itself was designed more to draw attention to themselves than fade into the background. More attention = more sales.

Am I the only one who believes that the OS's UI elements should be as unobtrusive and efficient as possible? I mean, this is something that is ALWAYS present, regardless of what you do with your computer or what app you're using. It's there, and if it's so slow that you have to specifically put its burden on extra hardware (Quarts Extreme) just to make the computer usable, shouldn't some kind of logical "overkill" siren go off in the mind of whoever designed it?

As someone who uses his computer for design work, I'm peeved as hell that my OS is more graphics-intensive than my graphics programs...

</rant>

Originally posted by phatcactus

1 Aqua UI itself was designed more to draw attention to themselves than fade into the background.

2 the OS's UI elements should be as unobtrusive and efficient as possible

3 my OS is more graphics-intensive than my graphics programs...

</rant>

I'm 100% agree with you, specially on ponit 2

I would like to have more styles in the system built-in to swithc between (from sys prefs, not with external hacks). I like aqua, .. even the metal looks are nice but I don't like Classic or anything that looks like Classic.

i think if we still had the classic compatibility mode the rhapsody theme would work out perfectly. It could be an option for designers i guess and at the same time wouldn't carry the horrid appearance of classic. I always used the dsx theme instead of platinum anyway.

ok... we are loosing the point of this thread...
yes Aqua is nice
yes OS X is stable, robust, unix based, etc...
Now... we are talking about the GUI...
what are you using your mac for?
if you are browsing the net, sending mails, use your usb camera, etc... you will be more than satisfied with X... but if your are a graphic profesional, are you happy with Aqua? Does Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark etc work nice in X?
Try opening 15 documents in photoshop and work with them at 1024x768...
I don't tink that OS X's GUI is being designed for profesionals
OS 9 is ten times more simple... I think that Platinum is the perfect GUI...
Mac OS has the ferfect GUI (yet before platinum...) so Aqua is make me feel that the difference between Windows and Aqua is more blured...
I hope you understand me...

Originally posted by phatcactus
I think you summed it up quite well in your first post: Aqua is a GUI for home use.

... because all of us who use Mac OS X to make a living work at home?

I think it is best put this way: some people like it and some people don't. When you try to add any other qualifiers you are on the road to offending others.

Just state why you like it or dislike it. But don't try to say that your feelings reflect more than your own feelings on the subject, because they don't.

Originally posted by Scott_Bernard
if you are browsing the net, sending mails, use your usb camera, etc... you will be more than satisfied with X... but if your are a graphic profesional, are you happy with Aqua? Does Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark etc work nice in X?

I am a professional, my rent is paid with work I do in Photoshop, ImageReady, Illustrator, Acrobat and GoLive in Mac OS X. I provide support for people who use Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and InDesign in Mac OS X.

And yes, I do understand you. Your experiences are your own and do not reflect the experiences of other professionals. Your feelings on the subject reflect your own feelings and not that of all other professionals.

As a professional I recommend that you (as a professional) should use what ever you want. Your opinions are quite valid for you, but they do not represent all members of the group of graphics professionals.

And to answer your question: Yes, as a graphics professional who works on four different magazines and six different web sites and does all my work in Mac OS X, I am happy with Aqua. As a support professional who works with four other designers who have switch to Mac OS X, I can say that they are happy with Aqua (actually they are so in love with InDesign that they can't see anything else at this point, but they are not unhappy with Aqua). As a support professional who works with thirty-five other designers who are currently using Mac OS 9.x, I can say that more than half are looking forward to the release of QuarkXPress 6 and moving to Mac OS X (as it is the only way it can be run) and at least ten of those people are already using an Aqua theme on their systems in Mac OS 9.x.

Far more importantly, my answer doesn't make your preference any less valid and doesn't try to say that because you don't have the same answer as me that you are of the same level as a home user.

All you guys may want to try and keep that in mind when providing your answers here. Just because you are a professional doesn't mean that others are any less of a professional if they don't have the same opinions as you.

wow!!! I'm very sorry...
I didnt want to be offensive
but is just the fact that i don't feel that Aqua reflect the simplicity and easy of use of Mac OS... thats all

Hm. I think by "home user" I meant average email-checking web-reading AIM-chatting people. My bad.

I do see your point though. it is, indeed, a matter of personal preference, but do you agree that a simpler, less "loud" GUI would be both faster and easier to look at for long periods of time?

yes, of course... it is a matter of personal preference...
and sorry by use the home user label...
I think that in a future we will be using Aqua in our future generation of Macs...
Apologize me : )

by phatcactus:
I do see your point though. it is, indeed, a matter of personal preference, but do you agree that a simpler, less "loud" GUI would be both faster and easier to look at for long periods of time?

Actually considering the amount of time I spend on my systems (14 plus hours on some days) I find that I can't agree.

One year ago my two main systems were running Mac OS 9.2 (with Mac OS X v10.1.x on it, but not used much) and Rhapsody 5.6 (my desktop and laptop systems respectively). Actually Mac OS 9.2 was running with an Aqua theme and Rhapsody was using a Platinum theme (there wasn't any choice) as was Mac OS 8.6 in Blue Box on that system. I was happy with those systems as they were, no need to change as they did all that I wanted from them at the time.

Last August Apple released Mac OS X v.10.2. As a person who must also support other people's systems, I bought and test installed 10.2 five times on the first day on my PowerBook using a spare drive I had (setting the Rhapsody drive off to the side to reinstall it at the end of the day). I was surprised at the performance and wanted to see if it could handle a real world test for a period of time (I was thinking two weeks).

I left the spare drive in and finished installing all my apps and basically said to myself that if at any point during that time it got slow or crashed or needed to be restarted (I wasn't going to turn it off at all during the period) I would pull that drive and put the Rhapsody drive back in.

A friend of mine was in town to interview with a local TV station and he needed to use my PowerBook for a couple days to demo his work on. I told him that he could use it if he didn't turn it off or restart it while using it. It ran everything great (he had quite a few quicktime movies of his work).

After three weeks of testing (yes I check the uptime to make sure that it had not been restarted while in use by my friend or my wife at any point) I pulled the spare drive, put the Rhapsody drive back in, backed up all the information off it and reformatted and installed Mac OS X v.10.2 again on that system.

A short time later I upgraded my desktop to 10.2 and now both spend all there time running 10.2. If at any point I was unhappy I would just go back to using what worked before for me.

So again, I can not agree. If I did, I wouldn't be using Mac OS X now. No one was making me use it, it was my choice. No one is stopping me from going back to what I was doing before, again, it is my choice. The only thing I agree with is that you feel that a simpler, less "loud" GUI would be both faster and easier to look at for long periods of time.

Actually as I have been doing more and more work on web sites, I had planned on upgrading to GoLive 6 from GoLive 5 which was painfully slow in 8.6 and 9.x (and almost unusable in Classic). I was looking at the fact that both of my systems are displaying 1024x768 and thinking that I would need both a faster system and more display space. I started saving up to be able to upgrade my hardware shortly after getting GoLive 6.

About 3 weeks ago I got GoLive 6 from Adobe. I now have no plans for new hardware in the near future. It runs better in Mac OS X then GoLive 5 ever did in Mac OS 8.6/9.x.

Hm. I think by "home user" I meant average email-checking web-reading AIM-chatting people. My bad.

I think by "professional" I mean some one whose livelihood is completely dependent on the functions of their systems and can not afford to use sub-par software just because it looks nice in a screenshot. If "home users" find it nice, good for them. If they don't, that is fine too. I just don't think that people should take the position that because they have a preference it makes others any less professional.

Besides who would a simpler GUI really be better for? Sounds like a home user to me. ;)

I think that if you work with your computer, you would want it to be beautiful to look at (the GUI), or you would be bored to oblivion.
The dock, par exemple, makes me happy, and makes it fun to work!
I get the creeps from OS9. it feels so sterile. One of the best things with OSX when looking at a picture you have made is the borderless windows and the shadows. Gives a great preview of how the printed end result will look.

See, I actually liked the window borders in OS 9; if there's one thing I would add to Aqua, it would be that, no doubt. It seems to me like removing them was a step back to the system 7 days.

Strictly my opinion though, of course. :)

I used to hate macs in OS 9. When I went to art school I used to dread having to use the macs, and would never think of buying one for myself. I thought, and still do think, that the "old" finder in the upper right hand conner was the least intuitive thing I had ever seen. Until someone told me I had no idea what that was up there. It was small, didn't know what it meant. I never could find applications. I had to go scouring the hard-drive and in applications go through folder after folder.

Flash to the day I wanted a new MP3 player. I went to look at an iPod to see if I could use it with my PC. Got there and was told that I could not. :'( Thought to myself well... while I am here I will take a look at those new pretty macs. Went over to it and....

What is this.....

This is not the OS I remember. This is one sexy look. And what is that. All my apps I run often? And it tells me which ones are on!

Needless to say I was in love. On the spot I ordered my first mac. A 15in with Superdrive (months before the 17in came out) and an iPod. Never looked back, and have no interest in the "old" stuff. I have since becoming a mac user tried to like the old OS too. Still no go. Just so blah. Not easy for an outsider to use, and just not my bag.
But to each his own!

Matthew

Back