platinum vs aqua

What I like to keep in mind is that OS X is still technically a 1.X release (though Apple would like to disagree) and it has lots and lots of catching up to do in every area. Apple has plenty of experience in building a nice system, and I'm sure it'll come into play sooner or later.

I'm just impatient.

We're all different people, and we all use our computers differently.

I see no need for a perfect universal theme, but rather a burning need for native moddability! Why can't Apple just open Aqua's gui format and create a first-party theme changer? Maybe Apple could include three basic themes with it: Aqua standard, Aqua lite, and Neo-Platinum. AS for the eye-candy junkies, AL for those of us who would like a more minimalistic Aqua, and NP for the power users (and graphic designers) who want a lower system overhead.

I think an Apple-created Platinum theme in OS X would take up as many resources as Aqua based on the way it operates. You can make themes that look as pretty as Aqua in 9, but they function the same way as Platinum. With Aqua, you have the power, versatility and capability of the Quartz (and sometimes Extreme) engine behind it, and Apple has built into the UI features that take advantage of that. With a Platinum theme, I don't think you would lose features like the genie effect, the puffs of smoke, or sliding dialog boxes, so I think Platinum would only be cosmetic in X.

We will have to wait for Panther to see what Apple has up its sleeves. One clip I saw for Longhorn showed someone moving a window, and it bent and rippled like a piece of paper... very cool. Click the first movie to see it.

Back