Playing .WMA files in iTunes?

wicky

play thing
Is there any way to play .wma files in iTunes... a plugin maybe? or alternatively, is there a way to convert these files to .mp3, without using a WinblowzPC?

To elaborate on fryke's posting, no, you cannot play WMA files in iTunes, and I think it's going to stay that way for quite a while, if not forever.

No, there's no easy way to convert those files to MP3 without using a Windows computer... and for good reason. WMA is ALMOST platform-specific to Windows, and I think Microsoft wants to keep it that way.

We understand that WMA is more widespread than AAC, but Apple is pushing for AAC compatibility everywhere. Introducing WMA support into iTunes and the iPod would kind of be like conceding to the "enemy" and I don't think Apple wants to do that.

Cool. I didn't really imagine that .wma would be supported by iTunes, but I thought that some clever bod out there would have worked out a way to convert it. Oh well, Plan-B.

Plan-B: Do you have any experience of batch converting windows media files via Virtual PC (ie. is it possible given the slow nature of VPC, and what are the best tools to use for batch conversion?).

I 've got a PC next to my Mac, but it's flakey (just like the rest of 'em) and I haven't turned it on for over a year and a half now.... I think I'd prefer to delete the music. :D

Cheers for your help. (especially yours Fryke... very deep)

Oh, hey, lookie there! :p Well, I never said never... I think Apple's gonna continue with the AAC fight before conceding and introducing WMA support, but then again, who knows?!

I have yet to use it, but I stumbled across this yesterday at versiontracker.com. It mentions converting between WMA and MP3.

"Product Description:
Audio Hijack Pro is an audio grabber and enricher, enabling users to record and save any audio. Record Internet streams, capture DVD audio, or convert between any audio format (Real, WMP, AAC or any other) to the more universal formats of AIFF and MP3.

AH Pro can also be used to record, tweak and improve the quality of any application's audio with included DSP effects, as well as industry-standard VST and AudioUnit plugins. MP3 recording, enhanced Timers, and the ability to hijack running applications are just the beginning for Audio Hijack Pro. It also includes the ability to pause recordings, the power to create sets of DSP effects called Patches, support for up to 100 VST and/or AudioUnits plugins at a time, and more. AH Pro even supports some Classic VST plugins which haven't been updated for OS X!

Back