PLEASE! A moment of silence for Mac OS 9!

Alas, OS 9, I barely new him, but he was my friend.

Since I switched over to Mac late last year, I only used 9 for a month or so while X matured. To be honest, it was actually quite a nice OS.

And, BTW, X is definitely a female... ;)

IS anyone really going to miss 9 ? I cannot wait to get out. I am sick of it crashing once or twice every day.

Originally posted by simX

Excuse me if the Windows Media Player installer didn't install the plugin. Do you have to get so snooty about it? I didn't realize a plugin was made to work natively in OS X, so you don't have to act like that to get your point across.
I think you just caugh us all off guard... We are so used to you being SO right.

I'm sure no one meant to be snooty.

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
IS anyone really going to miss 9 ?...
I'm not sure that is the important question...

I still know a TON of people who use OS 9 to get a lot of work done... and most of that work can NOT be done on OS X. Where are the pro audio tools like ProTools? All of the folks with Mac OS 9 workflow processes are going to have a hard time converting over to X.

So the question is whether OS 9 was buried ALIVE?

Also will any of those folks still using OS 9 be afraid to buy anything new from Steve Jobs? After all he is the guy now looking down on them in them in their hole... and he has a shovel full of dirt.

Certainly I love OS X, but it is easy for me to since I'm a Web developer... I know this is not such an easy sell for many other professional Macintosh users. (Probably it is an easier sell for home users.)

yeah... getting work done is a problem :) I will never get printer drivers for my printer. and i will not get drivers for my scanner. so whenever I want to print or scan, its back into 9 I go. Or I could buy a new scanner and printer.

We gather here to remember an old friend.

I was close to him; in fact loved him. Oh, he could be fickle. He had an odd way of remembering things. He would sometimes just stop working for awhile. Some of that was probably my fault; I kept giving him more and more. Extensions, Control Panels...you name it. He just couldn't handle all that love.

Even before his death, I could feel my affections changing. His replacement was just too beautiful and powerful. At first, I still used him...yes, I admit it! But only when I absolutely had to. I...I'm not proud of this, but there it is.

Now that he's gone, a part of me will miss him. His quirky grin on startup, his classy platinum garb, his configurable Apple Menu. Still, my new love, OS X, helps to heal the pain.

RIP, OS 9. (And stay dead!)

Back