please, a moment of silence :(

starfleetX

Elite Member
farewell-colonel.png

We gather here today to mourn the passing of one Colonel William James Bodsford Panic.
Colonel "Big Billy" Panic was a quiet man, but often misunderstood by the younger
generation when he would come forth to warn the locals of the imminent danger.
A stalwart soldier, though, he stood his ground as his comrades around him would fall
to their knees.

At the age of only six years, it would seem that Colonel Panic has been taken before his
time. Nevertheless, he is survived by Friendly "Gui" Panic, a character of even less
ostentation. Gui promises to carry on the duties of the Colonel and not to waver from
them for an instant. A former student of the Colonel, Gui has become fluent in seven
different languages in the hopes that he can reach out to more people and deliver his
message in a gentler manner.

friendly-panic.jpg

Please, let us take a moment of silence in memory of our dear friend Colonel Panic.

hmmm.gif

I presume that the kernel (colonel) panic screen has been replaced by a GUI version recently.

I have never had one, so I can't be sure though.

R.

must be real dumb to not get the joke, or u get it and ure jokin´to.
:p

"s0m30n3 s3t u5 uq 7h3 b0m8"

l33t language, i think :p

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I dont get it:confused:
Take a look at the second picture.

*gasp* No more sprawling lines of hex and scary-looking messages!!

Our dear Colonel Panic was killed my that beast-cat known only as "Jag-wire"

cool feature, cool joke. very nice.

i had one colonel mustard...i mean panic...and it suckd.

Gasp! No more information! I want my scary messages!

Backtraces, farewell, we will miss you.

That's actually pretty amazing that Apple can hide the WHOLE command line from its users. There's no command line stuff at startup (like Windows on top of DOS), and there's even no command line stuff when you get a kernel panic!

That's really amazing. I hope that Apple built-in some kind of log thing, though, so that you can find the cause of the panic.

I really wish that Apple would include something like MacsBug that would instantly transport you to the command line, too.

Actually, kernel panics should already be logged. I don't know where, though, as I have had none in the last couple months. Guess I'm a *nice* user to my system. *grin*

I also think there should be something like MacsBug for devs, so they can instantly see what went wrong. Waiting for the system to be up again so we can read logfiles erases the short time memory of 'what the hell did I just do, ah! yes! sh*!'

Originally posted by fryke
Actually, kernel panics should already be logged. I don't know where, though, as I have had none in the last couple months.
No, panics are not logged in Cheetah or Puma. With Jag-wire, however, the log is saved into NVRAM and then written out to disk upon restart.

Originally posted by starfleetX
Take a look at the second picture.

*gasp* No more sprawling lines of hex and scary-looking messages!!

Our dear Colonel Panic was killed my that beast-cat known only as "Jag-wire"

I still prefer the long unix error message :p
that must mean I am a geek :p

Originally posted by starfleetX
No, panics are not logged in Cheetah or Puma. With Jag-wire, however, the log is saved into NVRAM and then written out to disk upon restart.

Whoah, now that is cool! No more reaching for pen and paper to scrawl down the panic message.

Back