Please help – and boost your karma!

CaptainQuark

93 93/93
The World Parrot Trust has been canvassing the European Commission to make permanent the temporary ban on importing wild-caught birds into the EU. Full details of the campaign, and CQ's small part in it can be found here, but BE WARNED, this link to my 'other home forum' contains an image of dead greys – victims of the evil trade in wild-caught birds – that some may find upsetting!

But this is a post of an altogether happier nature! So please read on…

Ask yourself the question: "When do I ever get in touch with my Member of Parliament/Congressman/Senator?" Well, usually only when you think they have done something wrong! So the World Parrot Trust has decided to get in touch with the relevant European Commissioner to say "Thank You" for doing something right!

I'll quote here from the May 2006 issue of PsittaScene, the magazine of the World Parrot Trust:

"These decisions about the ban (and it's extension and about whether or not to end the trade permanently are made by real human beings… Most of their work is highly bureaucratic and political and largely thankless!…In our meetings in Brussels last month it dawned on us that those involved with instigating the temporary ban have [also] taken a personal interest in teh wild bird trade…Ostensibly teh choice was made for biosecurity reasons, but it appears that they felt pretty good about the side effect of saving millions of beautiful wild birds.

"Our plan is as simple as it is fun. We would like to send thousands of bird cards to the Commissioner who made this decision, just to thank him on behalf of the birds for making such a fantastically positive gesture. Our hope is that he'll not only discover just how thankful we are…,but also that he'll bear in mind how many millions of birds he will be saving by continuing along this path in the future.

"So please take a minute, find any postcard, greetings card, painting, photograph of a bird – any bird – and just write a quick thank you message on it. It needn't be long or detailed, just thank you for helping the wild birds…And please ask your friends, children, anyone you can think of wo likes birds to do teh same and hopefully, together, we'll get this positive message of thanks across loud and clear!"

That cards come from non-EU countries and North America too will just go to illustrate that this is a worldwide issue and that by taking this lead, Europe is setting an example for all to follow. And don't forget that the World Parrot Trust is an international organisation with members all over the world, including the USA (usa@worldparrottrust.org) and Canada (canada@worldparrottrust.org).

So please, please, please, whereveryou are in the world, DO send bird cards (hell, even a picture of your favourite Mac will do as long as you mention the birds!) with a note of thanks to the following address:

Mr Markos Kyprianou,
Commissioner for Health and Consumer Protection,
European Commission,
B–1049 BRUSSELS,
Belgium

Thank you, :)

CQ

Back