Please help fast, I can hardly wait

vanguard

Registered
I posted this in the mac install forum but I figured I'd post here too because it has more traffic.

Friends,
I'm a long time Linux and Windows user who just bought his first mac (2001 iBook).

There is a piece of paper that came with it that reads, "Important: Because Mac OS X is already installed on your computer you don't need to follow the installation instructions in Welcome to Mac OS X."

However, it sure doesn't seem installed to me. It booted into 9.1 and I see no signs of X. So, do I need to install X or not? Anybody buy a Mac recently? Where is this thing supposedly installed? How do I boot into it?

Originally posted by vanguard
However, it sure doesn't seem installed to me. It booted into 9.1 and I see no signs of X. So, do I need to install X or not? Anybody buy a Mac recently? Where is this thing supposedly installed? How do I boot into it?

All you need to do is go to the Apple Menu (upper left corner of screen), go down to control panels and select the Startup Disk. Then you will see your hard drive listed. click on the little arrow pointing at the hard drive and then out comes two selections to highlight, OS 9.1 or OS X, highlight the OSX one and click the restart button or click in any empty area of your desktop and go to the Special > Restart menu...

have fun with X!

Thanks for your help. That was excatly what I was looking for. Either it's harder to find info on the web regarding Macs than it is Linux or I'm still learning how to find it.

Thanks for your help,
Vanguard

no it's not that hard to find stuff for Macs out there...there are a ton of sites for it. Go to Barns and Noble and pick up MacAddict or MacWorld or any other Mac magazine...those are rad to go through

It probably would have been a good idea for Apple to include instructions on how to boot into X for new users. :p

apple didnt put instructions to go with their computers because os x is not exactly done. If it was, they would be making the new macs start off booting to os x. they thought that you should be smart enough to use a mac before messing with os x. i've heard os x final being called os x pb2....

Back