Please Help Find IP

Trip

Registered
How can I find out what my IP address is?
Somebody please reply ASAP! This is very important concerning my existance in the universe!

You can find your IP address in the Network pane of System Preferences. Hope this helps.

...or if there's some reason you need it in the terminal, you can do one of these:

for PPP:
ifconfig ppp0 | grep inet | awk '{ print $2}'

for ethernet:
ifconfig en0 | grep inet | awk '{ print $2}'

That'll give ya your IP in the terminal.

TRIP:

Look out...here comes another rant....

Must every thread you start be labeled IMPORTANT? Bad bad etiquette again. If you keep it up people will just ignore your threads...you are NOT the most important person in the universe (contrary to what you may think).

Just how someone that can't even find their IP address and has so little regard for any kind of proper etiquette in a forum got to be a moderater in here astounds me.

(end of rant #......)

Back off people, leave the guy alone. It is somewhat arrogant to criticise people who have less knowledge than you. That is, unless you have all the answers yourself. Apart from that, being a moderator doesn't require people to have so much technical knowledge as requiring to moderate users going overboard. Knowledge of IP's etc won't help you there.

Originally posted by theolein
Back off people, leave the guy alone. It is somewhat arrogant to criticise people who have less knowledge than you. That is, unless you have all the answers yourself. Apart from that, being a moderator doesn't require people to have so much technical knowledge as requiring to moderate users going overboard. Knowledge of IP's etc won't help you there.

How can we expect a moderator to keep things proper when they don't know themselves what is proper and what isn't?

And I disagree....a moderator in a forum such as this should have *some* reasonable technical knowledge....so they know when to close threads, move it to another more appropriate forum etc.....I don't mean to say they should have *all* the answers, but surely have all the "basics."

Volunteers & Moderators are here to help you, BUT like all people, they too need help at times.

If you have a problem with one of the volunteers, please PM me, or email me, I will be more than happy to talk to you.

well... I personally think sometimes people need to think a bit before making a post...

some topics have nothing to do with the content... so you have no idea what you're going to be reading until you click on it... I guess it's more or less 'bad advertisement' to get people to read your post...

and yea... I personally think we should refrain from using "important" or "urgent" etc, if the post concerns just a few people... this one's fixed... and I didn't mean to rub it in or anything...

and... I think too much of the posts goes into "General Discussions"... I guess this section is viewed the most, so if you gonna advertise, this is the place... but... we should think about where the post should go... like... shoudn't this be in "troubleshooting"?

yea... I gotta admit... it's pretty easy to point to other's mistakes... heh... I know most of my posts are useless and irrelevant:rolleyes:

There's a good reason this post wasn't already moved.

I've had no internet access since I got home on Friday at around 7:00... Finally Earthlink got their sh!@ together, and I'm back online.

Sorry for the delay on moving stuff like this about...

yours in all his frazzled state...
Twyg

Back