Please help me!!! DHCP / OS X 10.1 problem

stfu

Registered
Okay:
I connect to the internet via a cable modem.
When I connect in Mac OS 9, I have to configure nothing but TCP/IP.
I set it to DHCP.
I installed Mac OS X (v. 10.0.0.4) recently.
It worked fine, too... I set TCP/IP to DHCP and I was able to connect.
Now I updated to 10.1 and I can't connect!
Even in Classic... it's the same. But my classic HD is the same one I'm using as startup disk right now, and as you can see I CAN connect!
Seems like 10.1 doesn't recognize my Ethernet.
I visited the Apple site, and in the 10.1.1 updates information I indeed read something about more reliably DHCP connections...
So I wanted to install 10.1.1. But I had to download and install the 10/19/01 Security update before installing 10.1.1.
After installing the security update, I wanted to install 10.1.
Well the installer simply didn't let me choose any of my HD's!!!
I'm getting angrier and angrier... PLEASE help me!!!
Thanks a lot,
Julian

First, the latest update is 10.1.2. Update to that.

Second, If the updater is not allowing you to update then:
1. Your hard drive is screwed and you may have to re-install your OSX.
Be sure to back up your User directory before doing this so you do
not lose any valuable data.

2. Something may be wrong with thw updater software and you may have
to re-install that.

Third, when you setup your network preferences, all you have to do is click the dhcp tab (not manual dhcp either) and your DNS server will send all of the settings. I will say this, Apple needs to hurry up and fix this dhcp reliability in cable modems. I have trouble sometimes where my mac won't release the old IP and update without a reboot. This is not very good for Apple business.

Best of luck. Give me a holler if you need some more help. I will be happy to help as much as my limited knowledge will allow.

SA

I had a problem with a PPPoe connection and after numerous attempts to connect I was unsuccessful. I double-checked everything over and over and I grew quite impatient. Before I felt inclined to throw the computer out the window (afterall it was my mother's machine not mine *snicker*) I decided to create a new location in the network system preference. I typed in the exact same information that I had in the automatic location setting and PRESTO the connected worked without a hitch...

So go figure. Anyways my advise is to create a new location and also if you do not have a dialup account and still have a modem installed in the machine you may want to uncheck the internal modem from the "Show Active Ports" section within the network system preference.

Happy Hunting!

Thanks to you all...
I can't update to 10.1.2 without having 10.1.1, that's the problem...
I simply can't update, after installing the security update I launched the 10.1.1 updater. But when I had to choose the target HD, all of my drives where outgreyed...
When I had 10.0.0.4, I did it exactly like you said: I clicked the DHCP tab (not manual DHCP) and everything worked.

The funny thing is 10.1 applied all the settings, but it simply doesn't work.
I even installed 10.1 (from a G4's 10.1 CD, so there can't be system errors) to a firewire drive. I couldn't connect starting up from that drive too, and I wasn't able to update to 10.1.1 either!

Ok, I tried the new location thing. I typed in the exact things but it didn't work :(...
But I can connect to local servers, e.g. my other computer, even in 10.1, so there's no cable problem.
I have to get the 10.1.1 and right after that the 10.1.2 update to work, this thing drives me mad! ARGH.

Do just as buubajim noted above.
I just switched from DSL to cable when I moved this past week. On DSL, I had a hard-wired IP address, with cable it is DHCP. I had trouble with it after waking up and sometimes connecting the first time after a boot. I then found that the active network ports in the Network system prefs pane had the modem active and listed first. I placed my ethernet first, disabled the modem and have not had any problems since.
After I got that working, I put the LinkSys on and configure it for DHCP and it worked the first time. After reading about all the problems people were having with DHCP, I was uneasy about switching to cable, but I had no choice.
One thing I noticed, before getting the configuration correct, was the really long boot times when it stayed on configuring network for up to two minutes, then proceeded to boot fine. Launching OmniWeb took up to 30 bounces at times and everything was really slow. I think this has a lot to do with some of the long delays people are seeing as OS X is trying to determine what connection to use.

I have the startup problems too, network configuration and such takes far too much time... but I did the same things you did before, disabled the modem, put ethernet first... everything!
And still it doesn't work...

Next funny thing: I downloaded tha 10.1 -> 10.1.2 update and wanted to install it, but it told me that my installer version is too old.
So I checked it, I hav v. 1.1.1 and the newest version seems to be: 1.1.1.
Harharhar.

as far as I remember, there was an update for "Installer" and maybe IE in between the security update and 10.1.1

if the installer isn't updated, you can't install the newer updates.

now, I just woke up and my head hasn't come back down from where ever it goes while I sleep... so I only skimmed through this... sorry if anyone mentioned this already...

there were a series of updates for osx and 9 that included firmware and must be installed in an exact order to be able to continue installing software. going back and getting this right has solved many people's problems installing that i have helped on this site. there are several threads on it as well as a kbdocument at apple about it.

Okay, this is what I did:
I visited the apple site again and downloaded the installer update.
It was just called "Installer Update" so I didn't know wich version it would install.
Well I installed it and tried to install the 10.1.2 Combo updater.
This perfectly worked! It not only let me install the update on my disk, but made DHCP work without any problem!!!
Thanks to you all anyway!

Back