Please help me!! Shared Library Error/CarbonLib

alexbgc

Registered
I have an iBook G4 with an OS X 10.3.9 operating system. Earlier today my screen went blank and appeared to have turned off on its own, even though it still had more than half of its battery charge. I pressed the power button, then had to press it again to restart it.

When I tried to access my Word documents, I got this message:

The application "Word" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "1<Microsoft Word><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_CarbonCore>"

I have explored all of the online advice, I have checked the Console (the error code is -2804), I have run Disk Utility for the disk permissions, I have re-installed my operating system... nothing is helping!! I still cannot open anything in Microsoft Office (2004), nor can I open AppleWorks.

I am on the verge of a mental breakdown because I have 3 major papers due this week. If I can't have access to Word on my computer I won't be able to finish them on time.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

did you ever get an answer to this? I have a similar problem with word. i get this error message...The application "Word" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "D<Microsoft Word><Apple;Carbon;Multimedia><CFMPriv_DVComponentGlue><>"

Alex, welcome on macosx.com

Try this.
Download from Apple site the COMBO update corresponding to the system you're currently running, in your case the 10.3.9 Combo
Re-install over your running 10.3.9

The Combo allows someone jumps from any 10.3.x system to any 10.3.y (where y>x), while the single update will only allow a 10.3.x -> 10.3.(x+1) migration

Re-installing a Combo may help to repair some problems in the System

After re-installing and rebooting, repair permissions again and reboot again

The link to the combo: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxcombinedupdate1039.html

Reference: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/macosxupdates.html

Phil

It's much easier: just do an automatical software actualization. i had the same problem and it worked (after searching hundreds of communities and gaining the winning advice!).

carbonlib can be demaged or deleated by updating or installing non-mac programms.
but it seems that carbonlip itself exists as well on the mac installation cd. and you can download it but you need to install it in the classic version.

It's much easier: just do an automatical software actualization. i had the same problem and it worked (after searching hundreds of communities and gaining the winning advice!).

carbonlib can be demaged or deleated by updating or installing non-mac programms.
but it seems that carbonlip itself exists as well on the mac installation cd. and you can download it but you need to install it in the classic version.
Hoping you are still there!

I am getting the shared library error when trying to open all ms office 2004 on my ibook operating system is 10.4.11

How do I do an "automatical software actualization"?

many thanks for any help

Back