Please help me to install Scribus !

toast

Gone !
Hello,

According to the screenshots and to some reviews, this program called Scribus is an exact replica of Quark XPress or InDesign (same tools, shortcuts, etc.)

Two major differences, though:
- It's free :eek: :eek: :eek:
- It's Linux :confused:

My own knowledge of Linux is... hm... top man ls -a cd /. That's almost all I know of it :).

So can anyone, please, help me to install Scribus ? What do I need ? X11 ? Fink ?

As far as I understand, Scribus makes use of the Qt library (see www.trolltech.com ).

Qt for Linux is free and nowadays contained in almost any recent Linux distribution.

Qt for Mac OSX, however, requires the developers of Scribus to purchase a commercial developer license.

Depending on the functionality required by Scribus either the Qt Professional Edition which costs USD 1550 or the Qt Enterprise Edition which costs USD 2330 would be required.

So I don't think Scribus will be available for Mac OSX unless the developers decide to purchase the required Qt commercial license.

I had it running on OSX/X11 some time back, but the KDE install went south, taking Scribus with it. You will need a new version of Freetype to get it to configure.

Bud, this is old, I've abandoned the project. Too complicated, the Mac was sending some error messages I couldn't understand. Linux is for geeks, I'm disconnected from this "world". In fact, this Scribus experience was so horrible I definitively quitted the idea of working with Linux stuff. I enjoy UNIX stability but that's all.

Back